aliens

Author Topic: "radar craft" as radar stations mod  (Read 3607 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
"radar craft" as radar stations mod
« on: October 04, 2013, 01:50:36 pm »
I was just browsing the ruleset description page and an idea began to form in my mind that I would like to share... if you like it I would try to make it into a ruleset.

I'm thinking of a conversion mod that changes the way UFOs are detected... it is more-or-less inspired by parts of XCOM2012. Instead of placing lots of bases all around the world just to detect UFOs, your bases would have only a very limited detection radius, and all "radar" base facilities would not exist. instead, a special type of xcom craft would detect the UFOs, much like the satellites in XCOM2012. they would be slow-moving craft with lots of fuel (maybe balanced so that a "radar craft" can patrol for a month before having to re-fuel) and a large detection radius. I'm considering limiting their use by making them extremely expensive in maintenance. I'm also considering making the basic hangar capable of housing more than one craft, so that one base can have several "radar craft" without cluttering the base with hangars.

this mod would be even more interesting if UFOs were capable of attacking xcom craft, of course... :)

what do you think? is this something you would want to play?

Offline Hadan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "radar craft" as radar stations mod
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 02:47:37 pm »
Sounds great.

Maybe you can implement a new type of hangar which only houses drones, lets say up to four of them.
The player could start with some version of the Glabal Hawk, later some alien-based crafts would become available for research.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: "radar craft" as radar stations mod
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 02:55:48 pm »
Craft-specific hangars would be great, but I don't think it is possible without code changes... it would be great for other stuff, too :) like for the UFO/TFTD combination game: one type of hangar for aircraft, one type for subs. Or maybe one "hangar" for vehicles? Ground-only?

But all of this would require code changes, and this stuff shouldn't take programming-time from the main goals :)