aliens

Author Topic: Features: Show chance to hitting and the throw trajectory  (Read 50579 times)

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Features: Show chance to hitting and the throw trajectory
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2013, 11:35:29 am »
RED color looks better, because of the "explosive warning" feel. 
The yellow looks like "agricultural spraying of pesticides" or "build a house there".
by "blink effect" you mean that the circle is red, but turns yellow-flashing if a target is within the blast radius? (maybe you should post a video :) )

hmm.. agrocultural? O_o
This is default behavior for Xcom crosshair when you aim.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2013, 11:57:04 am »
hmm.. agrocultural? O_o
This is default behavior for Xcom crosshair when you aim.

yes. precisely. so your circle mimics the behavior of the original crosshairs, right?

would it be easy to change the code so that the circle's line is a little bit thinner?

or on another note, perhaps you could provide three versions, so everyone can find what they like best, to be toggled in the advanced menu:
0) no grenade circle
1) thin red/yellow circle
2) thick red/yellow circle
3) transparent circle

arc trajectory would be toggled seperately...

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2013, 10:16:44 am »
Yeah, just include red in circle's coloring. That will show "Danger!" to the user so we will take extra care not to blast our soldiers.

Offline djemon_lda

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 05:30:21 pm »
perhaps you could make some kind of ray tracing to determine the precise area of the granade blast ? with the area described by the shape (not necessarily a circle then) the precise area including stuff stopped by the walls etc ?

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2013, 06:17:15 pm »
perhaps you could make some kind of ray tracing to determine the precise area of the granade blast ? with the area described by the shape (not necessarily a circle then) the precise area including stuff stopped by the walls etc ?

No. This feature was conceived as not affecting to gameplay. Just entertainment.
Next thing - performance impact. Is it really need do ray tracing each frame?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2013, 07:47:27 pm »
A tile overlay (like in path preview) might be more accurate, but probably wouldn't look as good.

Offline djemon_lda

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2013, 03:43:38 pm »
by "precise" I've meant including covers like walls etc. but recently I've noticed that they are not taken into account, and a blaster bomb exploding on the right of my avenger has killed folks inside of my craft :p

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2013, 06:42:06 pm »
by "precise" I've meant including covers like walls etc. but recently I've noticed that they are not taken into account, and a blaster bomb exploding on the right of my avenger has killed folks inside of my craft :p
I think they are taken into account, it's just walls don't fully stop a blast, they just mitigate it a bit, specially against a blaster bomb. :P

Offline djemon_lda

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2013, 01:58:38 pm »
yeah, but if the wall stands it takes all impact, and you're not simulating shards of walls flying inside, are you ? :P

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2013, 02:10:59 pm »
yeah, but if the wall stands it takes all impact, and you're not simulating shards of walls flying inside, are you ? :P

not in vanilla X-Com, it doesn't. walls reduce splash damage, they don't block it entirely.

Offline djemon_lda

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2013, 10:14:04 pm »
I was speaking of logic behaviour moriarity. when a projectile hits a tank, it isn't the explosion on the outer side of the armor that kills everyone inside, but a piece of metal torn away in the point of impact and all kind of rivets flying inside.

I don't quite remember vanilla work that way, but I trust in your knowledge on that topic.

Offline Badger85

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2013, 06:27:49 pm »
Hey!

I'm new here, I've been reading the forums for quite a while, but this is my first post!

This improvement to show both chance to hit and throw trajectory seems very useful. However, I was wondering how can I actually enable/use it in Openxcom? Do I have to download files from somewhere? I apologize for my computer-illiteracy and would greatly appreciate any help, as this is a very useful feature IMO :)

And many thanks for keeping this project running!!! I'm sure there are a bunch of people like me who are not necessarily visible on the forums but love your work. Keep it up!

Yours,

Badger

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2013, 07:55:51 pm »
A tile overlay (like in path preview) might be more accurate(...).

I agree. It can even be somewhat misleading since the outer tiles would only be partly covered by the circle, leaving it unclear whether a given fringe tile is affected.

And regardless of colour, the circle looks jarring and out of place because the battlescape deals in squares.

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2013, 03:13:19 pm »
This improvement to show both chance to hit and throw trajectory seems very useful. However, I was wondering how can I actually enable/use it in Openxcom? Do I have to download files from somewhere? I apologize for my computer-illiteracy and would greatly appreciate any help, as this is a very useful feature IMO :)

Hello, Badger!

Feature "show a chance to hit" was added to the pull request: https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/586
Maybe will be merged to upstream. Maybe after 1.0. Maybe never.

Feature "show throw trajectory" will never be merged to upstream for some reasons)
But, if you really want add this feature to your game, you can get the code here: https://github.com/redv/OpenXcom/tree/throw_view

Offline Amunak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My homepage (czech only)
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2013, 05:57:22 pm »
Shouldn't the blast radius be more like a circle with square edges?