Author Topic: Some things i expect in an OpenXcom for TFTD  (Read 13542 times)

Offline KiethSomataw99

• Captain
    • View Profile
Some things i expect in an OpenXcom for TFTD
« on: August 11, 2013, 11:30:40 pm »
Since TFTD uses the same engine as UFO Defense, I have a few things I would like to see for TFTD. While most of it is from OpenXcom of UFO Defense, I'm listing a few things that are for TFTD:

1. Land Alien Craft Battles: You cannot shoot down alien subs while they are on the surface, but you can assault alien subs that have touched down on land. This should trigger a land craft assault using environment depending on the location on land, some environments borrowed from UFO Defense. If the craft that has landed on the ground is a Battleship or Dreadnought, you will expect to face land terror units associated with aliens. And as with all land battles, your aquanauts will have their helmets off and can't use water only weapons.

2. Land Alien Colony Battles: Some alien colonies are placed on land, and launching an assault will trigger a two-stage battle on land with alien structures unchanged from the vanilla version. Both outside and interior are on the surface and you will expect land terror units and be unable to use water-only weapons.

3. Final Phase of T-Leth Assault: When you reach the third stage of the assault, there will be a message saying: (You cannot save in the middle of this final battle. Do you wish to save at the beginning now? [Yes] [No]). Yes will take you to the save screen.

4. Tentaculats: The Chryssalid of TFTD now appears on land and water, sometimes on alien surface (terror) attacks, turning humans into zombies. On land, however, tentaculalts cannot fly.

5. Sonic Pistols: These weapons should in OpenXcom have the autofire function as well as aimed and snap, but the Sonic Blasta Rifle and Cannon remain with just snap and aimed. Aliens may overwatch with these with snap or auto.

6. SWSs are now vulnerable to stun: SWSs take .7x from stun weapons, but if dealt enough stun damage, the SWS will cease to function until the stun wears off enough. If the battle is won before the stun wears off, the SWS will be recovered and can be used again.

7. Gauss Cannon separate ammo: The Colecanth/Gauss and the Craft Gauss Cannon each use their own ammo, both of same cost. The Colecanth/Gauss uses Gauss Shells and the Craft Gauss Cannon uses Craft Gauss Shells.

8. Human deaths screams: I would like there to be the usual death scream for male humans and a different new death scream for female humans.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:48:14 pm by KiethSomataw99 »

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Some things i expect in an OpenXcom for TFTD
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 10:08:44 am »
1 and 2: Seem a bit silly, the aliens in TFTD are fully focussed on things underwater... :\

3. fair enough. ^^

4. OH GOD THE HORROR!!!!

5. Overwatch?! :\

6. Tanks getting stun damage?! XD

7. I thought they did have different ammo :\

8. Sure...

Also:
Removal of 2 stage terror missions, especially on cruise ships... :(
Too many damn little cubby holes, that HAVE to be ALL checked!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 10:16:43 am by Danny »

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 06:26:42 am »
I agree with danny on the last 2.

Also just merge both games into one and we can have super long games researching both types of weapons and dealing with threats from space and from the deep unknown. Also would love the TFTD UI when you're on a TFTD mission.

Offline KiethSomataw99

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 03:58:57 am »
I also thought of a new intro movie that could be added to TFTD OpenXcom, this one being quite similar to that of original XCOM opening.

A cruise ship is attacked by the aliens in which a host of aquatoids and gillmen climb the railings of the ship and begin to kill everyone with sonic weapons and sonic pulsers. Soon, XCOM base detects the attack as a voice goes "Warning! Warning! USO detected!" Then aquanauts prepare for battle as one grabs a gauss rifle and another puts on the diving helmet of the diving suit before entering the triton, which submerges out of the base. The triton sails to the ship and surfaces and lands on the ship as the aquanauts take off their helmets and exit the triton. It shows a female aquanaut then firing her gauss rifle rapidly at the gillmen and another aquanaut fires his gauss pistol rapidly at aquatoids. Soon, the aliens begin to retreat and jump overboard and swim to the USO, which then submerges and sails away.

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 02:31:51 pm »
I also thought of a new intro movie that could be added to TFTD OpenXcom, this one being quite similar to that of original XCOM opening.

A cruise ship is attacked by the aliens in which a host of aquatoids and gillmen climb the railings of the ship and begin to kill everyone with sonic weapons and sonic pulsers. Soon, XCOM base detects the attack as a voice goes "Warning! Warning! USO detected!" Then aquanauts prepare for battle as one grabs a gauss rifle and another puts on the diving helmet of the diving suit before entering the triton, which submerges out of the base. The triton sails to the ship and surfaces and lands on the ship as the aquanauts take off their helmets and exit the triton. It shows a female aquanaut then firing her gauss rifle rapidly at the gillmen and another aquanaut fires his gauss pistol rapidly at aquatoids. Soon, the aliens begin to retreat and jump overboard and swim to the USO, which then submerges and sails away.

A better thing would be:
- The Triton lands on the ship.
- The troopers see its a cruise ship mission.
- Say "screw this!"
- Then blast off again... XD

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 06:46:34 pm »
A better thing would be:
- The Triton lands on the ship.
- The troopers see its a cruise ship mission.
- Say "screw this!"
- Then blast off again... XD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WziO005uM3g

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 05:18:54 pm »
1. An option to change load-outs between "Surface" and "Underwater" options before taking off.

2. Weak Laser weapons and VERY expensive Plasma weapons (Elerium is not cheap) for surface operations; Air-to-Air weapons for our flying subs, for when you think that that USO is going to fly over land.

3. Specialized Surface and Underwater versions of items: With no need for underwater life support "Surface" versions of Armor has more protection; Weapons that can operate both on surface and underwater can sacrifice one for better performance in another, etc.

4. Swimming in non-Mag.Ion Armor: Can "fly" a certain number of tiles, regardless of time units, before "falling", and you fall slowly (one level downwards per turn if the soldier does nothing, or fall one level every time the soldier moves)
-Can't swim in starter armor, because that hastily created armor is too heavy.
-Aqua Plastic Armor: As explained above.
-Ion Armor: More heavy than Plastic Armor, but still lighter than the Starter one.

5: Alien outposts: One-parter versions of colonies.

6. Optional, but desirable: New Terror sites: Coastal Towns, South-East Asian water villages, Gritty Asian "Venice"-like places (as seen in Ghost in the Shell:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c26iiSfC6Us Gits) and Venice itself.

EDIT: 7. Underwater Grenade Launchers, and to make it impossible to throw grenades underwater.

EDIT 2: 8. Additional door on the right side of the Triton.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:04:59 pm by shinr »

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 11:03:46 am »
Why can't you attack alien subs in the air with Gauss or sonic craft weapons?! The hand-held versions work fine above water... :\

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 12:04:07 am »
Different ship terror missions to break the monotony: Oil Tankers, Military Ships of different sizes, Aircraft Carriers, default Cargo and Cruiser ships with extra different layouts.

Underwater Terror Missions: TFTD already has underwater habitats, rarely encountered from my experience, so how about expanding them, recolor the starter armor/calcinite sprites to make underwater civilians and thus get a new terror mission type. Plus, it allows the underwater-only terror units to be intentionally used in Terror Missions without bugs, especially the Tentaculats.

Offline alienfood

• Captain
  • It's people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 11:31:26 pm »
An early cut that would provide incremental value would be to add the new surface tilesets to the regular game. Cruise ships, the docks set, I think there are a couple of other ones, would make a nice addition.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 07:43:11 pm »
I would be very careful with adding stuff from the first game to TFTD. The reason is that it would have to be a complex hybrid game, with a fully functional surface AND naval warfare, and both integrated into the research tree etc.
I never played hybrid games that just borrow aliens/terrain from the other, as they seem really silly to me: Snakemen who breathe underwater, Hallucinoids floating mid-air, not having rocket launchers available for surface warfare... I would love to see a combination of these games, with all the terrains, aliens and items available, but only if it's done seriously (and that's a huge game design project).

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 04:18:27 pm »
Just found out that in TFTD's PlayStation version the Soldier inventory screen has a neat background image:

Would it be possible to include it?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:53:11 pm by shinr »

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 08:30:22 pm »
Also just merge both games into one and we can have super long games researching both types of weapons and dealing with threats from space and from the deep unknown. Also would love the TFTD UI when you're on a TFTD mission.

I second that. It would be nice to be able to double the depth of the game like that,  having both land bases and underwater bases, more environments to do missions in with more graphic variation, sending the appropriate response teams, or mixed response teams for maps with both land and underwater terrains (eg. city with an underwater sewer system, or coastal regions).
Or at least make some of the x-com weapons available in TFTD for dry missions.

Offline shuuk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 03:15:30 pm »
After the release of openxcom WE want openTFTD   :) 
I will help again with the german translation :)