Author Topic: Lets Play Open Xcom with RANGED ACCURACY TURNED ON... MOTHER OF GOD!  (Read 13985 times)

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
  • 100% Un-Professional XCOM Lets Player
    • View Profile
    • FINAL MOD PACK LP OUT SOON NOW RECRUITING! SIGN UP TODAY!
OPEN XCOM with Commentary by JSTANK

In this LP we test out a new feature, RANGED ACCURACY

I was surprised how much that option changed the way you play the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhIhqiakHWg&list=PLdRzyg_rQbgubZ1-JFc-RvREFITSMw5jn

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Open Xcom with RANGED ACCURACY TURNED ON... MOTHER OF GOD!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 11:49:15 pm »
not to be mean, but man, that is the worst XCOM player ever :S

by the way when you  click on the craft icon and there are other element too close, the names above are links to teh specific item, so instead of pressing cancel just slect that craft you want, in this case you wanted the skyranger and the list showed skyranger and Last Light.

i can't talk about your tactics but they can improve a little :D

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 02:02:54 am »
I had fun watching the battlescape missions. Especially the Antarctic missions near your base XD

Good show!

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 04:18:14 am »
Thanks for all the comments and criticisms.  I have uploaded a few more videos with improved sound. I added the lost episode # 9 to the playlist along with the base defense missions. As for my tactics, its the first time i have played with ranged based accuracy.

PS this is my very first LP iv done so I'm still learning.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:37:13 am by Jstank »

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 05:36:57 am »
I am not saying it was bad... it was horrible :P

but truth be told it was super entertaining :)  and since this is your first time playing OXC then all that criticism is misplaced.

and yes i did love those Antarctic mission i think from now on all my initial bases will placed there. :) when i get a chance i will try to look at your base defense mission.

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 07:01:47 am »
Watched a bunch of your videos including the base defense.  To be honest, I can't watch any more because I get motion sick watching them.  Too much bouncing around.  I'm sure the scrolling issue doesn't help that.  That problem will go away if you upgrade to a nightly build of the game.  I had the problem with 0.9 also.

You don't help yourself any by not paying more attention to the equip screen at the beginning of a mission.  Aside from having too much junk laying around, you consistently equip soldiers with weapons without ammo, or overload your soldiers.  A badly overloaded soldier is a dead soldier, unless they just never make it to the battle, which is the other likely outcome.  I can understand that takes a lot of time, so perhaps you could do it off-camera if you're trying to save air time.

FWIW, there were no Blaster Launchers present at the base defense.  What you identified as  a Blaster Launcher was actually a Small Launcher.  In OXC, I've seen aliens kill more of themselves with Blaster Bombs than my own soldiers, but that or more Cyberdiscs probably would have been a world of pain.  While I set up my bases similarly, I actually am starting to believe it makes base defenses too easy.  I can generally easily defend a base with 10 rookies given a similar setup.  Also, the lack of psi was also likely due to 0.9.  Psi is more dangerous in the recent nightly builds.

FWIW

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 08:46:17 am »
Again thanks for the comments! I believe that the problem i am having with the shaking is youtube trying to 'fix' my video. I am going to have to re look at how i can 'unfix' them. I am also expecting to wrap up the series soon and will be shooting the second half sometime next weekend. See you then!

PS will be adding all of you to my squad. Good luck, and I will try hard not to get you killed!

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 04:43:31 pm »
Oooh, a new LP... well, new for me... hopefully get some time to watch this :)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 10:23:52 pm »
That would be great to see thx Jstank

Offline Man in the Funny Hat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 11:11:31 pm »
Been enjoying the LP but it hurts to watch the tactics. :o  On a night mission NOBODY steps out of the skyranger without having a flare.  Throw them EVERYWHERE.  LIGHT IT UP!  If you don't you only have a small circle of visibility around you and you're just running into pitch dark asking to be shot.  When you do that they will just take reaction shots at you as you run because darkness does not hinder their vision - and then you die.  If a flare gets blown up by a grenade then throw another.  Don't just run another trooper into the now-dark corner trying to get close enough to the alien to have it visible within your tiny little personal circle of light.

Use the time-reserve buttons - the ones in the lower left around the big green arrow button.  Click the "auto-fire" button for example and THEN move.  It will keep you from moving soldiers too far and then finding they're standing exposed and unable to even shoot back.  I haven't tried it myself, but if you have the range-based fire option turned on then its clear you need to take fewer auto shots.  You're not hitting enough with the low % to-hit and your troops are getting killed as a result, so take multiple snap shots or aimed shots instead.

When you first start turn 1 and don't see any aliens consider just skipping the first turn.  The aliens will move and then when you actually start stepping out into the open they'll have a lot fewer reaction shots at you.  When exiting the skyranger step to the first space at the top of the ramp, turn 90 degrees and then step OFF the ramp.  Don't just walk down the ramp because that wastes time.  It uses less time units and immediately reveals what terrain and aliens are to your sides.  Consider giving your first two men in the skyranger a smoke grenade.  Toss them out around the ramp and then you'll have SOME cover when you deploy.

Troops left standing in the skyranger are troops who are utterly unable to help you kill aliens or save a trooper in trouble.  The more guns you can bring to bear at anything the safer your troops will be.  Look 360 degrees around the skyranger to make sure that your troops aren't going to just get shot in the back by an alien standing near the front landing gear.  That means that you have to move a few squares that direction because althoguh the landing gear (front or back) provides cover it also WILL block your line of sight.

You can't bring all of your troops out in a single turn but as you do you need to be examining the terrain - looking for where you can move your guys to COVER and then whenever possible use the terrain to your advantage.  Watch the aliens turns to figure out what buildings they are in and where, listen for the doors opening.  When assaulting downed ufo's as opposed to terror missions there are no civilians to open doors so it MUST be the aliens.  You like grenades so blow stuff up!  Don't storm into a buliding if you can just blow it all up with the alien inside.  It's safer for your troops.

If you have to be in the open then don't stay there.  Move to a position of cover if you can.  Don't push it if you're already in a bad positiion.  Fall back and wait for the aliens to move to where you can shoot at them from a position of greater safety.  Not that that's always possible but a soldier just standing in the open is a target.  The beauty of Xcom is how it allows you to use real-world tactics.  You can still win just by storming everything head-on all the time but you'll go through a LOT of troopers doing that.

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 04:26:57 am »
Wow thanks for that awesome post! I will be sure to add you as a senior tactical officer in my xcom squad!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 04:39:45 am by Jstank »

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 06:16:56 am »
I released 5 new episodes  30-35. I also added everyone who posted about my video to the squad. Thanks for all the support and comments!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhIhqiakHWg&list=PLdRzyg_rQbgubZ1-JFc-RvREFITSMw5jn
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:01:22 pm by Jstank »

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 06:37:52 am »
Revive me plzz :)

Offline Hobbit Lord

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 01:09:29 pm »
I started a new game with this turned on, even my best snipers can't hit anything more than medium-close range so I had to turn it back off

I would suggest base accuracy should be increased by this option to off-set that