Author Topic: FOXC - Fantasy OpenXcom  (Read 59560 times)

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
Re: FOXC - Fantasy OpenXcom
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2022, 10:41:40 am »
Alternatively you could try drawingRoutine: 0 (Soldier) by using the leg frames for the body instead of the torso frames.

Spoiler:

This approach has its own challenges as the right south west facing arm needs to be shaved a bit to hide it behind the body.

The reason is that now that the legs instead of the torso are being used for the body the south west arm is rendering in front of the body frame instead of behind it.

Syncing the motion of the torso with the walking arm frames was a little tricky but I think all of them are aligned in the example unit sheet I attached to this post.

Additionally three extra walking frames were needed so the end of the walking loop may need a slight touching up.

As far as I can tell, this does function.

The drawing routine I meant was drawingRoutine: 1

The advantage of drawingRoutine: 0 (Soldier) is access to the flying frames use by X-Com's power suit unit sheet.

If you do not plan on using those frames then as Dioxine said drawingRoutine: 1 (Floater) is most likely much easier to work with.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 12:26:26 pm by The Martian »

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2022, 08:25:19 am »
... The advantage of drawingRoutine: 0 (Soldier) is access to the flying frames use by X-Com's power suit unit sheet.
If you do not plan on using those frames then as Dioxine said drawingRoutine: 1 (Floater) is most likely much easier to work with.

That is very interesting how you used the soldier routine. It's the first time I saw the orc arms on this unit.  I was under the impression that the snakeman routine was mentioned earlier. But maybe the floater was intended? I don't think the soldier flying frames would be needed for this unit in FOXC.  I just need something I can use in game for sprite testing so I can finish the sleeves. Regardless of the methods mentioned, I think I'm not familiar enough with openxcom editing to really implement this stuff by myself.  If it's easy enough for someone to make a simple mod to replace the floater sprite(or snakeman?), I could use it and maybe learn from it.  Additionally, with different sprites in mind, a simple mod to replace the xcom soldier with placeholder sprites (accounting for both genders, different skin tones, all 4 armor variants, it's big objects, inventory pictures and it's corpse objects) would also be useful so I could design new soldier graphics for FOXC.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 08:57:07 am by b »

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2022, 11:38:24 am »
I created a mod I'm calling an 'Art Testing Kit' that handles what you described with the exception of the X-Com soldier's skin tones.

That (I believe) is controlled by this section of code in the armors_ATK.rul file if you want to try messing with it:
Code: [Select]
    spriteFaceGroup: 6
    spriteFaceColor: [96, 96, 96, 96, 160, 160, 163, 163] #M0 F0 M1 F1 M2 F2 M3 F3
    spriteHairGroup: 9
    spriteHairColor: [144, 144, 164, 164, 245, 245, 166, 166] #M0 F0 M1 F1 M2 F2 M3 F3

Hopefully this will save you a bit of time.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 11:41:19 am by The Martian »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2022, 11:49:37 am »
I created a mod I'm calling an 'Art Testing Kit' that handles what you described with the exception of the X-Com soldier's skin tones.

That (I believe) is controlled by this section of code in the armors_ATK.rul file if you want to try messing with it:
Code: [Select]
    spriteFaceGroup: 6
    spriteFaceColor: [96, 96, 96, 96, 160, 160, 163, 163] #M0 F0 M1 F1 M2 F2 M3 F3
    spriteHairGroup: 9
    spriteHairColor: [144, 144, 164, 164, 245, 245, 166, 166] #M0 F0 M1 F1 M2 F2 M3 F3

Hopefully this will save you a bit of time.
Correct, for more details `Group`parameter  is value that define range of palette indexes to replace, this is form `x*16` to `x*16 + 15`.
Engine then extract shade of given palette index (as each color group have 16 shades of same color ordered from bright to darkest)
and then add value from `Color` parameter. This final value will be used as palette index for given pixel.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2022, 05:43:56 pm »
Seeing that picture TheMartian posted, I feel vindicated for trusting my nose on avoiding routine #0 - there are artifacts in arm placement, they seem to grow out of the robe. Not to mention more work and bigger file size. As for flying - he's wearing a robe so specific flying frames are needless. Having said that, the result is still better than I expected.

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2022, 09:16:53 pm »
I created a mod I'm calling an 'Art Testing Kit' ...

Thanks for making this tool, it will be very useful, especially since it affects controllable units. Though I'm not able to pick up weapons with the floaters for some reason.
The problem with the arm layering also happens with the floater routine(see image below).  Is this merely the result of using Muton arm sprites on a body they were not designed for and not a as much a routine layering issue as much as an incompatible arm sprite which needs refinement for use on that body? 

« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 10:30:15 pm by b »

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2022, 03:53:35 am »
The layering of the right arm is not the only problem with the floater routine.  The floater's right arm uses the recoil frame for both the recoil and for holding a single handed weapon in the right hand, while the muton does not use the recoil frame for holding a single handed weapon.  The layering is also wrong with holding a weapon in the right hand at some angles. It occurred to me that perhaps FOXC should use the recoil frames for a forward arm thrust (maybe it could be used for melee weapons or punches?). Would is be feasible to make use of the recoil frame for thrusts of single handed weapons?

Adding some sleeves and trimming some of the arm sprites helped the orc mage:

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2023, 09:20:48 am »
Making progress:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 10:30:26 am by b »