Author Topic: New Weapons sprites / Technology Branch  (Read 9644 times)

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
New Weapons sprites / Technology Branch
« on: August 04, 2013, 04:59:04 am »
Hello guys,

I am trying to brake away from the original artwork, i know i am not an artist so i created a a couple new sprites for a weapons, i don't know what i will call it or what it will be :)  But just wanted to share with the community.

it is not pallette corrected yet for OXC, i will do that later but i was thinking to make this part of my Gauss technology
Heavy Gauss
Gauss Rifle
Gauss Pistol

Let me know what you guys think.

Also wnated to ask for creative text fluff for the Gauss Branch and the weapons and maybe dependencies for the research tree.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:07:58 am by xracer »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: New Weapons sprites / Technology Branch
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 07:51:19 am »
They look really cool, cant help to think i have seen a similar design before, cant think where but.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 08:49:20 am »
at first glance, it reminds me a bit of the "mass effect" weapon design :)

I like them, although I think there should be a more notable visible distinction between the "rifle" and the "heavy". it's obvious enough if you see them side-by-side, but if you select a soldier and want to immediately see from the picture if he's got a rifle or heavy gauss, you might have a hard time... maybe a different color for the "coils"?

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 08:56:36 am »
They look really cool, cant help to think i have seen a similar design before, cant think where but.
Well it is based on the Halo gun the plasma rifle and needler, but of course it needed to be modified to make it look a little more xcom :)
at first glance, it reminds me a bit of the "mass effect" weapon design :)

I like them, although I think there should be a more notable visible distinction between the "rifle" and the "heavy". it's obvious enough if you see them side-by-side, but if you select a soldier and want to immediately see from the picture if he's got a rifle or heavy gauss, you might have a hard time... maybe a different color for the "coils"?

you know after reading this i went and searched and there are some guns that are "similar"
About the rifle and heavy well i wanted to keep the same color scheme but i do see your point :) I did want to make the Heavy look bulkier and the rifle a little more streamlined, maybe didn't differentiated enough.

Now just need to think where in the research tree it needs to go :) i think that is the hardest part. trying to find proper dependencies :)

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 03:41:11 pm »
You might also wanna slightly change the main color to a more military-styled desaturated look, making the weapon appear more hardcore.

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 07:13:50 pm »
You might also wanna slightly change the main color to a more military-styled desaturated look, making the weapon appear more hardcore.

That is not a bad idea i will change the and allow only the coil to remain a bright color :)

Offline tyran_nick

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 08:12:57 pm »
These look very nice. Following moriaty's suggestion my opinion would be that you might want to try to change the gray bit at the front of the heavy variant to a different colour? Not something very different, but enough to differentiate the weapon in battlescape.

For fluff there was a quite nice background on gauss weapons in the old syndicate game. I should be able to dig out the description somewhere.
Are you planing to make these x-com only weapons? Something after laser or instead?

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 09:39:32 pm »
These look very nice. Following moriaty's suggestion my opinion would be that you might want to try to change the gray bit at the front of the heavy variant to a different colour? Not something very different, but enough to differentiate the weapon in battlescape.

For fluff there was a quite nice background on gauss weapons in the old syndicate game. I should be able to dig out the description somewhere.
Are you planing to make these x-com only weapons? Something after laser or instead?

Yes i am planning to make this after the laser but required to have plasma research completed so that way you can branch out, you can research tech based on plasma tech or Gauss tech
 and before that i have the rail gun as an advanced kenetic weapon but it won't be very early in the game.

Here is a revised version based on the advised provided :)

let me know what you guys think

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 08:25:05 am »
So i have been bored out of my ass, since i screw up my ruleset :S and haven't figured out where the hell i screw up.

As such that gave me time to work on something else, I know i already made the other sprites but looking at them doesn't quite fit the role of a "Gauss" weapon, maybe they will be the alien version :). In any case this new item is a complete ripoff of a crysis 2 gauss rifle, with of course some adjustments and tweaks to make it look a little more the way I like. The changes are not huge but enough to differentiate them.

I am planning on making a pistol and maybe an heavy cannon out of it.

guess which one is the one i "fixed" :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 08:27:41 am by xracer »

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 09:42:23 pm »
well since i do not know where else to put this, I figure just keep expanding this tread,

This is a quick playtrough to show that i added a few items to the game all the items are based on [Disclaimer]  Chiko's sprites, some with with minor modifications, some are moriarity and Luke anyway almost nothing is mine, just the adding part to the game is mine.

https://youtu.be/16sJsbTGJOQ

based on this spritesheet, new items will come up with research
https://plus.google.com/u/1/photos/117436529281832067974/albums/5894756605877745809/5903334156910804130?pid=5903334156910804130&oid=117436529281832067974
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:51:30 pm by xracer »