aliens

Author Topic: 3D pixel art editor using voxels  (Read 18675 times)

Offline bladum

• Colonel
  • Bladum
    • View Profile
3D pixel art editor using voxels
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:36:37 am »
Hi Folks,

This is my old editor from 2010-2011 i was talking about some time ago. This is old version so no all cool features are completed, but this is the only one i found after i moved from PC to Mac the same year. This is only Windows and only with .NET framework.

Regards,
TOm

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 3D pixel art editor using voxels
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 01:26:47 pm »
You plan to continue it?

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 02:11:41 pm »
That's nice. I always wanted to make something similar to that.

I too am interested in knowing if you're continuing development? Because I could certainly make use of this in some of my projects

I'd have some requests if you are:
1. Allow me to choose sprite dimensions on "New"
2. There doesn't seem to be an "Erase Voxel" if you draw by mistake
3. Remove the Alt modifier on tool selection. You have no text entry in the UI, so unmodified keys won't cause conflicts
4. Copy/Paste crashes the application, but you're not sure what you're copying anyway

Offline bladum

• Colonel
  • Bladum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 02:23:48 pm »
Actually i have done nothing with this since 2011, but recently i checked open x-com site and WOW BANG Dear God :) Game is much polished then it was since then... so such tool might be useful again.

There are some more version i found:

Attachments:
 There is an old TILE EDITOR and MAP EDITOR, but i found TILED could be used instead and some sample graphics.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 02:29:12 pm by bladum »

Offline bladum

• Colonel
  • Bladum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 02:27:52 pm »
And some units, base facilities  (it was isometric in my  version too) and UI stuff

Offline bladum

• Colonel
  • Bladum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 02:37:31 pm »
also particles, geoscape, ufo / craft parts and advanced terrain :) almost all original graphics without animation thou ;/

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 09:02:52 pm »
wow, just wow...

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 10:48:35 pm »
Do you have source code? Maybe you could drop it to github? Someone could continue it ;)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 10:50:22 pm »
Better yet, take a fork of my OpenXCOM Tools repo, and merge it into that, you can then add features to load from xcom files (I think :))

Offline bladum

• Colonel
  • Bladum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 11:30:21 pm »
Yeah i have sources i wrote it :P But their quality is not so good ... but its quite simple app anyway.

I think bigger problem is actually if there is need to have such editor with such graphics ? lets say there are 2 people who can develop it and lets say 10 people who use it.

Another thing is compatibility with current OXC.

Another thing is define color palette and things like size of tile etc.

So i just gave the basic idea of tool to remake graphics without copyrights problems.

Tom

Offline LCSand

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 08:34:06 pm »
I think bigger problem is actually if there is need to have such editor with such graphics ? lets say there are 2 people who can develop it and lets say 10 people who use it.

So i just gave the basic idea of tool to remake graphics without copyrights problems.
Good idea and I actually like the result.
Another thing is compatibility with current OXC.
It does not have to be compatible with current OXC. The old file formats are very limited, at some point they will propably be replaced. You can already see the start of this with all the modding going on.
Another thing is define color palette and things like size of tile etc.
If you build a tool specific to OXC those can be taken care of. Maybe your tool can be the start of a tileset editor for OXC.

Offline TurkishSwede

• Captain
  • Thou art God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 10:44:35 pm »
OMG MEGA NECRO-BUMP!!!   :o

I just had to.  I just had my mind blown by this. If this idea could somehow be mixed with the newly-implemented First-Person Screenshot ability, would I really be only one of ten who'd think it was totally awesome? I think not.

Part of my brain expected something like this when I first heard about the FPSS anyway, but I have no coding experience. I can copy stuff and change numbers. This obviously is a post-1.0 thing but still, I would love to see it happen.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 08:58:13 pm »
OMG MEGA NECRO-BUMP!!!   :o

I just had to.  I just had my mind blown by this. If this idea could somehow be mixed with the newly-implemented First-Person Screenshot ability, would I really be only one of ten who'd think it was totally awesome? I think not.

Part of my brain expected something like this when I first heard about the FPSS anyway, but I have no coding experience. I can copy stuff and change numbers. This obviously is a post-1.0 thing but still, I would love to see it happen.

Why would you want to play in 1st person either way? It would be horrible to play the game like that. If you want a freeware 3D X-COM like game you can mod, you should try UFO:AI. Otherwise just play xcom 2012.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 09:25:46 pm »
Well, a little window showing your selected character's point of view would be helpful for estimating the target's cover and your risks of hitting the wrong target.

Offline Taberone

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 03:25:39 am »
So what can I do with this after I'm finished creating something?