Author Topic: Kneeling  (Read 4591 times)

Offline Man in the Funny Hat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Kneeling
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:03:21 am »
It's a simple thing and not always a problem, but with the limited graphics of 1994 it is difficult to always tell if a soldier is actually kneeling unless they are kneeling in the open.  What I'd like is a simple little UI indicator of whether a soldier is kneeling or not.  A color or icon change on the kneel button, a little red kneeling soldier icon that pops up in a corner when a kneeling soldier is selected... something.

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Kneeling
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 01:22:01 am »
A depressed button, perhaps?

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 02:18:53 pm »
A depressed button, perhaps?
That was my first thought when reading the first post.

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 03:05:11 pm »
I wonder if an overlay can be added to the UI. The button has a standing figure on the left and a kneeling one on the right; perhaps ghost out the figure that represents a soldier's current pose, 'melting' it somewhat into the tan hues of the button itself. This'd leave the dark figure more noticeable, meaning "push button, do that"

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 05:17:27 pm »
I wonder if an overlay can be added to the UI. The button has a standing figure on the left and a kneeling one on the right; perhaps ghost out the figure that represents a soldier's current pose, 'melting' it somewhat into the tan hues of the button itself. This'd leave the dark figure more noticeable, meaning "push button, do that"
That's more subtle and modern, but I don't quite see it fit the overall game feel.

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 12:30:22 am »
i guess it could alternate between (a) standing soldier and (b) kneeling soldier

same hues, same res. A slightly less complicated option is simply draw a highlight of some sort around the button, perhaps the appearance of it depressed yeh.

heck, i'd be happy with hot pink "KNEELING" flashing up in the corner when the soldier is selected ( uh no, not really )

Edit: I just noticed there's already a standing figure for inventory. So, an alternate to depressing the button could be to just ghost it blank.

(or change the inventory icon to a rifle or something..)

/anyway, am thinking too much about this.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:39:50 am by kevL »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 10:53:25 am »
well it shouldn't be a problem to have the button change its appearance, there's already a button that does that: the "show all layers" button. (although that changes according to a global setting, while for the kneeling button it would have to change depending on the active soldier)

anybody willing to provide a new graphic for the alternate state of the button? or maybe two new versions, one with the "standing" icon greyed out and one with the "kneeling" icon greyed out.