Author Topic: Suppressive Fire  (Read 6051 times)

Offline Bluedrake42

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Suppressive Fire
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:02:10 pm »
Would it be possible to implement a system, where when bullets land next to units, those units receive a temporary penalty to their accuracy?
You could also possibly have this suppressive fire effect affect morale and/or other stats as well.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:03:46 pm by Bluedrake42 »

Offline bladum

• Colonel
  • Bladum
    • View Profile
Re: Suppressive Fire
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 02:48:05 pm »
Not sure what about bullets but for units it would be quite easy i think

Store how many allied and enemy units are seen by each unit in this turn, and compare this to next turn values.

If number of allied units increased a lot => recover 10 morale
if number of enemy units increased a lot => lose 10 morale

Tom

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:19:21 pm »
Perhaps if you add some kind of AOE effect to the fire mode.

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 04:26:12 am »
There's a Suppression System like that in the Jagged Alliance II 1.13 mod. It works in a similar fashion to what you are suggesting.

-Just whizzing past Characters would be enough. The bullet doesn't have to hit anything to cause Suppression.
-Suppression causes damage to Action Points and Morale for each bullet that passes by Characters.
-Experienced Characters are more resistant to Suppression and more likely to go crouching/prone to decrease the attacker's chances to hit.
-When a suppressed Character's Action Points and Morale go beyond zero, they will be "Cowering" and loose their next turn entirely.

There are more things it does but I don't quite remember. I think it also reduces a Character's line of sight cone more and more until the Character is left with a "Tunnel Vision" condition that will slowly go away when not under fire.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 09:41:39 am »
loosing TU hen bullets fly close to you Is good idea. It can be some kind of "dodge" that allow you to avoid some bullets that could hit you, but you will loose possibility to reaction fire.

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 01:58:21 pm »
There's a Suppression System like that in the Jagged Alliance II 1.13 mod. It works in a similar fashion to what you are suggesting.

-Just whizzing past Characters would be enough. The bullet doesn't have to hit anything to cause Suppression.
-Suppression causes damage to Action Points and Morale for each bullet that passes by Characters.
-Experienced Characters are more resistant to Suppression and more likely to go crouching/prone to decrease the attacker's chances to hit.
-When a suppressed Character's Action Points and Morale go beyond zero, they will be "Cowering" and loose their next turn entirely.

There are more things it does but I don't quite remember. I think it also reduces a Character's line of sight cone more and more until the Character is left with a "Tunnel Vision" condition that will slowly go away when not under fire.

It would also be quite cool if you could force units to spend TUs to kneel by supressing them. ^_^

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 10:36:29 pm »
It would also be quite cool if you could force units to spend TUs to kneel by supressing them. ^_^
Indeed. If only aliens could crouch too. :P

I love this feature in JA2... The tactical usage and the fact enemies use it as well makes the game much more strategical. I always have at least 1 support unit with a heavy machine gun. As soon as I know the general direction of the enemy I lay down supressive fire. The important thing about supressive fire is quantity, not quality so I use the cheapest of ammo for this tactic.

If only the Autogun used a lot less TUs for burst shot, no aimed and single shot... That would be like the closest thing to a full automatic support weapon. :3

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 03:42:14 am »
Indeed. If only aliens could crouch too. :P

I love this feature in JA2... The tactical usage and the fact enemies use it as well makes the game much more strategical. I always have at least 1 support unit with a heavy machine gun. As soon as I know the general direction of the enemy I lay down supressive fire. The important thing about supressive fire is quantity, not quality so I use the cheapest of ammo for this tactic.

If only the Autogun used a lot less TUs for burst shot, no aimed and single shot... That would be like the closest thing to a full automatic support weapon. :3

Heh, maybe I'll add crouching mutons, etc... to my sprites list. ;)

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 09:06:55 am »
Hmm... I think UFO2000 already has sprites like that if I remember correctly.