aliens

Author Topic: To what extent should we change the original with todays expertise?  (Read 2664 times)

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
I just love this work.  An improvement in every way.  But to what extent should we keep open xcom free from any exceptional changes?  I think it would not be true to the original game to have shotguns and knives, but these would be great additions.  Maybe keep em' all as options?

Thats the point of the new 'advanced options' right?  Up to you to choose whether you want certain features right?

Volutar

Re: To what extent should we change the original with todays expertise?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:06:21 am »
Most of things discussed here are just mods. Being "from the box" openxcom wouldn't have anything from these shotguns, knives, sniper rifles, or changed techtree. It must kept as vanilla as possible, but with UI improvements enabled, and bugs fixed. Anything which could affect on gameplay must be avoided if possible.

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: To what extent should we change the original with todays expertise?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 11:44:54 am »
I just love this work.  An improvement in every way.  But to what extent should we keep open xcom free from any exceptional changes?  I think it would not be true to the original game to have shotguns and knives, but these would be great additions.  Maybe keep em' all as options?

Thats the point of the new 'advanced options' right?  Up to you to choose whether you want certain features right?

Advanced options are for features that require extra code to function. A lot of the advanced interface stuff goes here, and some of it has minor gameplay implications, but it's all along the lines of vanilla XCom.

Adding shotguns or knives can be done with a few extra sprites and some text file editing if you're using the most up-to-date nightly builds- this is what we're talking about when we mention rulesets for modding. :)