aliens

Author Topic: MAPVIEW upgrade  (Read 262789 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: MAPVIEW upgrade
« Reply #315 on: December 18, 2018, 05:49:45 pm »
To be honest I can't guess at any relationship between MapView and unit sprites. :P

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #316 on: December 18, 2018, 06:25:39 pm »
thanks Solarius. Those will help, but i also really need Tab-offsets from the original Pck spritesets ...

KEVL- i have uploaded a file to my website for you to test.

Solarius - i am downloading your resources now to have a look  :P. - Update - i still need a few other sprite objects but thanks for this, the recoloured aliens in here will come in handy for my project  :D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 06:36:07 pm by luke83 »

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 18, 2018, 07:23:59 pm »
To be honest I can't guess at any relationship between MapView and unit sprites. :P
many people may not know this, but PckView.exe ships with MapView and it's a PCK spriteset editor. I'm not sure if it works for unitsprites, but if they're 32x40 true pck images like battlefield terrain i don't see why not

KEVL- i have uploaded a file to my website for you to test.

Link pls?

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #318 on: December 18, 2018, 08:43:19 pm »

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 19, 2018, 02:26:14 am »
great, thanks

ps. "Cannot access a closed file" has been replicated.

EDIT: the current distribution (should) load and export TFTD spriteset/spritesheet -- tested on DEEPONE.PCK/TAB

I noticed something odd, however. It seems that outputting .BMPs (at least the sheets, maybe not individual sprites, not sure) sets the background index to #255. I'd think that ought be #0. This apparently happens for both UFO and TFTD palettes. You can/should correct it in your favorite sprite editor, by flood-filling the background color to index #0 (so that OxC recognizes it, and treats it as transparent)

if/when i implement PNG output, will look more closely.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:23:19 am by kevL »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #320 on: December 19, 2018, 09:43:51 am »
The version you sent me via PM the yesterday doesnt work, can you confirm you have a Newer version and if so  do you have a link to download it, i will test it tonight.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:31:44 am by luke83 »

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 19, 2018, 02:26:40 pm »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #322 on: December 20, 2018, 07:04:50 am »
Hello,
 I can report, all units work except for Bigobs (see error below).

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 20, 2018, 07:42:42 am »
okay. Aside: it's a relief the build worked 'cause i'm lousy with 'predicting' builds for other peeps (i'd rather that, ala Linux, they could build from source on their own machines, really)

anyway, Bigobs aren't allowed atm. iirc, they're 32x48 ... but it should go on my TODO, yep.

Tell me something here. Okay, think back to the old days: BombBloke's toolkit was the goto for exporting sprites. Not exactly as user-friendly as PckView, eh. But that's what i still use when I want to break sprites out of a PCK ... it handles bigobs, unit-sprites, everything. So is this what you're looking at PckView for?

If you're finding it useful for that task [ie, the exported sprites can then be converted into an OxC-compatible spritesheet, for use by an OxC ruleset as extraSprites] -- i haven't tried using PckView for that purpose -- I can (and would) gradually prioritize that aspect of the app

i mean, are you looking at PckView as a convenient replacement for (the exporting aspect of) BB's toolkit?

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #324 on: December 20, 2018, 08:37:15 am »
Hey,
 Even back in the day, BobmBlokes Toolkit was very hard for me to get working ( mostly due to my limited intelligence :), i have always used PCKview for all my units and terrain ( note i have never tried working on TFTD units until now but i did the Armed Civilians and others with this tool) since returning to OXC 2 months back, i now do most of my quick colour changes with MCDEDIT for terrain items but still need PCKVIEW for sprites. PCKVIEW is perfect for when you want to find and replace an entire sprite set at once, i never used it on a image by image basis, only sprite sheets. Tonight i just colour changed another 2 units from TFTD using your tool and gimp :) 

Note: in a perfect world i would say please duplicate MCDEDITS colour change tools into PCK as than it would be AWESOME, when i did my Underground recolour with MCDEDIT it took me about  a hour to recolour everything, i only did it this way as i couldnt remember how to use gimp at the time ( i have since renewed my skills in Gimp and now i know IRFANVIEW can quickly fix my colour pallet issues its all green light for modding again  ;D).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:51:37 am by luke83 »

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 20, 2018, 08:55:43 am »
*whoosh sounds like you're smarter than i am /whatever :)

srsly, it'll take me a while to ingest what you just said there.

i can't give an ETA on handling Bigobs -- am currently trying to implement Undo/Redo in a non-trivial program (not MapView...) and until i can nail it it bites.

etc

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #326 on: December 23, 2018, 02:22:10 pm »
Hey,
 Can you translate this error, i have a map set i started 1 month back and just returned to work on it and i cant load the MCD/PCK data as it crashes out. If you need the Files Kevl, let me know and i will compile them for you.

Thanks

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 23, 2018, 04:49:41 pm »
It's trying to draw the TileView window but not finding MCD data (*guesstimate*)

TileView wants MCD data for
- the background color of each part displayed in the table
- the part's y-offset (ie, elevation)
- and for printing "door" under the sprite, if it's a door

things to try:
- open a good map and close TileView, then try the bad map (without the TileView window open) just to see if any other error pops
- ensure that the filename(s) of the .MCD(s) are the same as that of the .PCK/TAB file(s) ... for all terrains used by the .Map
- also have a look in your settings/MapTilesets.yml file, search for the .MAP filename, and check that its terrains are listed correctly

If it still borks, pls package and link me to the .Map/.Rmp + .Mcd/.Tab/.Pck terrains
& i'll try to load it here,

EDIT: package received

It looks like the ORGANIC3L83 terrain is muffed in some way. I removed it from the terrainset of ORGANIC_CITY01.MAP, then closed and reopened MapView, and TileView starts okay.

notes from looking at the PCKs in PckView ...
ORGANIC1 looks ok
ORGANIC2 has 12 empty images at the end of its set (be wary of stuff like that, it's not invalid but it can be misleading)
ORGANIC3 is WTF. It has 40 weird images, but MCDEdit shows only 4 records
ORGANIC4 has 16 empty images at the end of its set

definitely fix ORGANIC3 (or remove it) and re-think terrains,
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 06:35:54 am by kevL »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #328 on: December 24, 2018, 02:20:35 pm »
It's trying to draw the TileView window but not finding MCD data (*guesstimate*)

TileView wants MCD data for
- the background color of each part displayed in the table
- the part's y-offset (ie, elevation)
- and for printing "door" under the sprite, if it's a door

things to try:
- open a good map and close TileView, then try the bad map (without the TileView window open) just to see if any other error pops
- ensure that the filename(s) of the .MCD(s) are the same as that of the .PCK/TAB file(s) ... for all terrains used by the .Map
- also have a look in your settings/MapTilesets.yml file, search for the .MAP filename, and check that its terrains are listed correctly

If it still borks, pls package and link me to the .Map/.Rmp + .Mcd/.Tab/.Pck terrains
& i'll try to load it here,

EDIT: package received

It looks like the ORGANIC3L83 terrain is muffed in some way. I removed it from the terrainset of ORGANIC_CITY01.MAP, then closed and reopened MapView, and TileView starts okay.

notes from looking at the PCKs in PckView ...
ORGANIC1 looks ok
ORGANIC2 has 12 empty images at the end of its set (be wary of stuff like that, it's not invalid but it can be misleading)
ORGANIC3 is WTF. It has 40 weird images, but MCDEdit shows only 4 records
ORGANIC4 has 16 empty images at the end of its set
definitely fix ORGANIC3 (or remove it) and re-think terrains,

Thanks mate, yeps looks like i saved over Organic3 at some point, all fixed now. The Empty spaces in the others are because i am still building the MCD sets, they will be full soon enough :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 02:23:48 pm by luke83 »

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
Is this the place to discuss Linux build of MapView?
« Reply #329 on: December 26, 2018, 12:23:56 am »
I compiled MapView under Ubuntu 16.04 with only 1 warning after changing the target framework to "Mono/.Net 4.5". So far, there are 2 problems:

1. I can't make windows large — the upper limit is 632x481 pixels (630x433 without title, menu and borders). The version from https://github.com/ratzlaff/XCom-tools doesn't have such problem.

TileView, TopView, RouteView and TileRouteView windows have no resizing problems. They even have better decorations. Options and Configurator windows use the same decorations as the main window, but can be enlarged.

2. The tiles are not transparent. See the attached "mapview-linux.png". Ratzlaff's version has the same problem.

Any suggestions how to fix that?

Ah, finally found this post: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1321.msg103891.html#msg103891

But MapView doesn't work in Wine-staging 4.0-rc2 either.

UFO1A.MAP doesn't appear in the new version. What's wrong?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 01:26:25 am by tkzv »