Author Topic: Battlescape control panel  (Read 30236 times)

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Battlescape control panel
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 05:10:16 pm »
Hey, you know what could be used the make that new display flush?
First sorry for the late reply.

I don't understand what you mean by flush :S.
Quote from: SeanEBlog
A text bar with a large colorful font, which would inform the player what the mouse buttons would currently do if clicked.

you are talking about a tooltip? a little text to say what the button is for? i presume you are referring the GUI buttons not the mouse buttons. Otherwise the mouse button "left" to activate/select, "right" to cancel

ON A SIDE NOTE:

I am working on doing little modifications to the rest of the combat UI, i think I may have something ready tomorrow night. STAY TUNED :)

Offline MyThos

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 05:34:48 pm »
Since you're looking at the control panel from a modding point of view may I suggest fast access panels for grenades and ammo reload ? See Xenonauts control panel for reference  ;D

Thanks and Regards,
Michael

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 05:55:27 pm »
Hello,
the reload option was mentioned by someone before , i yes i have thought about it,  i have added a small icon at the bottom of the weapon area, i have not created a screen shot because i have been waiting to finish some other areas. But yes is a function that i need to talk to the coders to see if they could do the favor an code it.

the grenade quick access, i have been having trouble trying to find a "proper" place where to added, because i wanted to make it look as though is part of the GUI and not just a discombobulated number of controls.

If you can think where it could be located that will be great.

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 06:09:09 pm »
discombobulated
Sorry for being a little off-topic, but I love that word :D

FWIW, where I live, when you say something is "flush" in the context Sean was in, it means "fits together nicely", or more accurately "Of a surface exactly even with an adjoining one, forming the same plane"

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2013, 07:06:45 pm »
Sorry for being a little off-topic, but I love that word :D

FWIW, where I live, when you say something is "flush" in the context Sean was in, it means "fits together nicely", or more accurately "Of a surface exactly even with an adjoining one, forming the same plane"

I lol, i understand what "flush" means, what i was asking is in what context, meaning what will make it flush? the text type? the color? location? 
I wanted to ask Warboy to create a tooltip which would float about the icons aligned to the top of the icon and offset 50% of the width of the icon on mouseover. I think for new players that will provide enough information to help them get through the game without resorting to looking for a manual.

On an side note
I think I found the perfect place for the "grenade quick access". Of course there could be some limitation to when to access it, but i think that is a rule that will be implemented once i get a decent GUI view. For example if you are holding a weapon on that hand then you can't use it, or it can be done that the system will calculate the number of time units to move the weapon to the back pack, then the grenade to the hand, throw and then move the weapons back to the hand., so that way you know if you have enough time units to perform such action.

Of course all this will be available if the grenades are only in the belt and maybe leg pockets, i think quick access to the backpack should not be possible, so if you have grenades on your back pack you will need to do it the old way.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2013, 07:17:44 pm »
I lol, i understand what "flush" means, what i was asking is in what context, meaning what will make it flush? the text type? the color? location? 
Ah, sorry, my bad ;)

Offline MyThos

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2013, 11:55:36 pm »
Of course all this will be available if the grenades are only in the belt and maybe leg pockets, i think quick access to the backpack should not be possible, so if you have grenades on your back pack you will need to do it the old way.

Fully agree! Grenades have to be at belt, shoulder or leg pockets to be available for quick access. Good that you have already some ideas in mind ...

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2013, 04:25:56 am »
ok a small edit to try and fit all the request, it looks a little odd but not so out of place.

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2013, 05:14:47 am »
ok this is what i have been working on, let me know what you guyes think, the second one is supposed to be "if" we implement equipment load out in base management. there is a few things left to do, so this is just a proof of concept ;)

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2013, 05:20:26 am »
large items in backpack

i think it does fit nicely, you be the judge

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2013, 05:30:16 am »
Looks Fantastic if you ask me :)

As for the GUI something like this , just More Xcom with LESS Baldurs Gate 2  :P
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 06:00:15 am by luke83 »

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2013, 06:12:54 am »
i think that could be done fairly easy, the problem will be implementing the multi-soldier select for the game. and setting up default formation points and of course the workaround for obstacles :)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2013, 06:21:37 am »
Original i thought something like APOC would be Good, Now i am thinking you hold down a button on keyboard to create a selection Box for the mouse , highlight several units , click a rough troop layout option and Send them all to the UFO door at once  :P  Something that changes automatically when place to close to a Wall or fence would be good, in case i don't want 5 guys outside the building and 1 looking for cover inside the building.

Also the Feedback box would be a different option to those annoying POP up windows that piss me off. "BOB spotted alien", "Jim is injured", Greg is out of ammo", "Murphy just crapped his pants ... I mean panicked ", "Ted is Dead".
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 06:46:34 am by luke83 »

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2013, 07:05:49 am »
i think Apoc had a good idea, create a squad, base on the number of soldiers, i alwasy hated it how they got split but if was nice enough, and then you could re-assign them, that was simple enough, also Apoc had basic formation, column, wedge,  skirmisher and echelon. having those with a 4 member fire-team works great. and Apoc did a nice job following that basic setup. 

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2013, 09:04:15 am »
 i know i am going off topic hear but to me the only reason i don't use larger numebrs solider in missions is because of the amount of pointless clicking i need to do to get them off the ship and into battle. Normally i secure the landing craft with a few troops and then cant be bothered moving the rest along only to find i NEED them half way through because of taking casualties.  Any sort of group movement could help here.