aliens

Author Topic: Clip ammo checking. (Now the variable elerium thread)  (Read 13599 times)

Offline SeanEBlog

• Sergeant
  • https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1266.0
    • View Profile
Re: Clip ammo checking. (whoops)
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 12:56:43 pm »
the way you did it is probably the cleanest way. (dropping the partially loaded remaining clip, that is)

as for the other part of the thread's topic: changing Elerium to be an ammo-like item would totally make sense to me. it is treated like fuel for in-game purposes like refueling advanced XCom craft, but comes only in chunks of 50 off the battlefield. when manufacturing, you have stuff that uses 1 unit of elerium per unit manufactured.

a change that turns battlescape Elerium into a "container" which holds a maximum of 50 units would also add variety to UFO crash sites: the explosion of a crashed UFO's power source should be scaled according to how much Elerium was left in it when it blew. If you hunted a UFO across half the globe before shooting it down, you might end up with a far less damaged crashsite.

of course, this could create balancing issues, because you will receive less elerium per power source - but I don't know if that's a bad thing. Elerium shortage could add some late-game fun, when you suddenly have to resort to more conventional technology.

I'd say this is worth a try. Is there anybody who could program the necessary changes as an optional game mechanic?

Don't forget that I also suggested that certain aliens would also spawn elerium containers on death.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 01:02:36 pm »
right, absolutely, this would make sense. Cyberdiscs (those that don't explode, anyway), Sectopods, Floaters... ooh, btw, shouldn't floaters have a chance of exploding when killed? I just started a new thread about Elerium-Explosions on the battlefield https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1284.0.html... perhaps this should be included :)

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 01:16:04 pm »
I use Elerium 115 for recharging aircraft's Plasma Beam:
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_PLASMA_BEAM_UC
    sprite: 5
    sound: 9
    damage: 140
    range: 52
    accuracy: 50
    reloadCautious: 12
    reloadStandard: 12
    reloadAggressive: 12
    ammoMax: 50
    rearmRate: 5
    launcher: STR_PLASMA_BEAM
    clip: STR_ELERIUM_115
    projectileType: 5

It is interesting idea about random quantity of Elerium in PS.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 01:33:12 pm »
It is interesting idea about random quantity of Elerium in PS.

I wouldn't go for random (although that's still better than a fixed 50 units), but would make it fuel-like: the longer a UFO flies around, the less elerium remains. this must be carefully timed, though, unless you find a really good explanation for landed UFOs without elerium... that still take off and fly away when the battle is aborted :D

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 04:08:08 pm »
I wouldn't go for random (although that's still better than a fixed 50 units), but would make it fuel-like: the longer a UFO flies around, the less elerium remains. this must be carefully timed, though, unless you find a really good explanation for landed UFOs without elerium... that still take off and fly away when the battle is aborted :D

We can even calculate this based on Avenger/Lightning Elerium consuming. Lightning have 30 units Elerium, that sufficient for 15,500 miles or 1 unit of E-115 for each 516 miles. If so, then standard fully loaded (50 unit) UFO Power Source allow up to 25,800 miles without refueling.

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 05:54:59 pm »
Lightning have 30 units Elerium, that sufficient for 15,500 miles or 1 unit of E-115 for each 516 miles.

But UFOs fly to Earth from Mars ;)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 06:15:09 pm »
I'd say they will be more fuel-efficient than a hastily-reverse-engineered human prototype fighter.

Flight from earth to mars is probably less of a problem than atmospheric flight in a planet's gravity field :)