Author Topic: Unable to bring up Option/game settings window  (Read 5947 times)

Offline Stormlight

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Unable to bring up Option/game settings window
« on: May 15, 2013, 10:57:24 am »
I am running a Steam version of X-Com - UFO Defense,  My OS is Win XP Pro SP3.  After installing the Steam version, I installed OpenXcom using the installer.

The first time I started the game, I selected "Launch Windows 9x/XP (only) Version".  A small window came up with an Options selection, clicked on it, and a long list of settings were available.  I didn't change anything because I just wanted to test the bootup process.  Since the game began in the small window, I shut it down.

I then booted up X-Com using "Play X-Com UFO Defense" option.  The game came up in widescreen.  (I can manually set my screen to 4:3.)  After beginning the game, I notice that the option with the settings did not appear as it did the first time.  Now the only Option that appears is within the game itself - Load Game, Save Game, Abandoned Game. 

Using the other bootup option, "Launch Windows 9x/XP ..." choice, the game still boots up into widescreen, but without the settings option.

Question:
Is there any way I bring up the earlier option with all the settings?

Thanks for any help,

Dave

Volutar

Re: Unable to bring up Option/game settings window
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:28:22 am »
OpenXCom is not started with Steam.
It's not xcom mod. It has to be runned independently, with properly copied "data" folder from xcom:defence.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 11:29:29 am »
OpenXcom is actually a seperate executable to the one that steam installs. the reason the installer looks for a steam version of the game is so it can copy all of the data resources into a place where we can find them.

basically, now you need to run OpenXcom.exe from wherever you installed it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:33:31 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline Stormlight

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 07:25:55 pm »
Volutar and Warboy1982,

Thank you both ... and my apologies!  It was late and I was tired and it never occurred to me to look in the Start/Programs menu for OpenXcom.  Had I done so  I would have realized that OpenXcom installed in a separate directory and not in the Steam directory.

Warboy1982, your explanations cleared up a couple of misconceptions I had.  Thank you.