aliens

Author Topic: [DONE][Suggestion] Experience Overview UI  (Read 542 times)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
[DONE][Suggestion] Experience Overview UI
« on: September 28, 2024, 07:52:17 am »
Now that we have got CTRL-ALT-E, the experince screen with steroids (https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=10900.0), this made me wonder.

How easy would it be to put even more steroids on the experience screen. That is, develop CTRL-ALT-E (or some such keybinding) in a way that would show which skills the soldier has already trained in (and maybe even how much). This would be more useful than just knowing who has got any experience at all, as many would like to give the soldiers multiple types of skill experience if feasible (firing, throwing, melee, etc.)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [suggestion] show which skills have been trained in CTRL-ALT-E?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2024, 09:29:17 am »
It's the "no experience screen", not "experience screen".

Showing all zeroes there is pretty pointless.

PS: also wrong subforum to make suggestions

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [suggestion] show which skills have been trained in CTRL-ALT-E?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2024, 10:16:42 am »
Sorry, posted this on DONE subforum by accident. I think I can't move it myself. Feel free to move.

Yes, I realize it's currently a "no experience screen". What I wonder and suggest is that it would be a great feature to have an experience screen which would also include what's currently in CTRL-ALT-E but offer much more. My ideas:

Soldiers would represent the rows of a table-like screen.

The soldier names (the rows) who have gained any experience would be colored with X, those who have obtained some with color Y. So this would offer the player a quick view to what's already in CTRL-ALT-E once you learn quickly which colors represent experience gained and which no experience yet.

The screen could also have additional columns per skills to be trained: REA, FIR, MEL, THR, PSK, BRV (or some such columns). There would be an X or a number in the column if a soldier has gained such experience. To avoid huge amount of clutter, you would not need to print anything if specific experience has not been gained.

Because CTRL-ALT-E has not yet been part of any official release, if this was implemented before the next release, this could be the entirely new CTRL-E like screen with huge amount of steroids.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2024, 10:25:55 am by psavola »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [DONE][Suggestion] Experience Overview UI
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2024, 05:23:23 pm »
Done.

Ctrl+Shift+E.

Online Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2024, 11:02:28 pm »
This brings tears into my eyes, because I wanted such a feature for so long. But I never suggested it because I thought I'd just get flamed if I did.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2024, 09:02:53 am »
I didn't know that the exact numbers of experience gained in a mission is actually calculated before that mission ends.
Wiki says something like "if you shoot a target 11 times, you can get from 2 to 6 shooting experience".
In either case, numbers currently present on Ctrl+Shift+E screen are somewhat confusing.
Imagine a soldier has "2" shooting experience. This may be his cap or may be not. I guess this screen is for dedicated players who wants to get maximum training out of a mission. So it would be logical to at least mark experience numbers with colors to indicate if maximum is reached or not.

And in my opinion, players shouldn't know the exact experience point numbers before mission ends.
There should be something like "6 hits out of 11" per training stats in a table. Or "secondary stats trained".

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2024, 09:06:28 am »
Wiki says something like "if you shoot a target 11 times, you can get from 2 to 6 shooting experience".

11 is the experience gained, 2 to 6 is stats gained.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2024, 12:28:50 pm »
So numbers in experience window are actually experience points? In that case everything is fine.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2024, 05:11:00 pm »
Obviously you will want to use this screen in combination of a (reverse) statstrings mod or renaming the agents manually so that you can with one glance see which skills each soldier can obtain increases.

Not sure if it would be useful to hardcode a specific test "don't color the column entry if the soldier's stat is already at the stat cap so there is zero chance of it increasing". Maybe if that would be trivial, but if you use statstrings, you already know which skills you should be training.

Online Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2024, 01:34:32 am »
Btw, ACC should probably be FIR instead, since it's Firing experience.