Author Topic: [Suggestion] Record the real time spent on a campaign?  (Read 579 times)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] Record the real time spent on a campaign?
« on: July 12, 2024, 04:46:48 am »
It would be cool if OXCE kept track of how many hours you have used (wasted) on a particular campaign, like some of the newer games do.

This could at least be saved to the save file when the game is (auto)saved, but it could also be shown when loading the save in the new load screen, under "DETAILS" section at the bottom (i.e. when it now says, for example, "Geoscape [DATE], (IRONMAN)" one could add at the end ", XXX h". (Although I'm not sure how one currently shows the details when loading a battlescape save with a really long mission name; if this is a problem, it would be sufficient to show this only for geoscape saves, not battlescape saves.)

In my opinion optimally the timer should pause if you open the options screen (e.g. hit ESC on Geoscape), allowing you to pause without quitting. But I suppose opinions might differ on this.

Essentially this would only have information value to the player, but I suppose the players could also use it for various self-challenges (e.g. how quickly you can get to a particular point in a campaign) but not competitive speedrunning.

Apparently real time things are easily implementable (https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=9572.msg137832#msg137832) so I suppose it's more a question if this is something deemed useful in OXCE or not.