aliens

Author Topic: OXCE GUI issues w/ Linux after upgrading from native SDL 1.2 to sdl-compat12  (Read 869 times)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
After I upgraded Linux distro from Centos 8 Stream to Centos 9 Stream, I have noticed a few new issues in OXCE 7.12 (I'm using the bionic image from the  lxnt.wtf site) that were not present before:

1)  When your craft arrives at destination and you press CTRL on the "start mission yes/no screen", the GUI button for "NO" no longer changes to "PATROL". However, if you still press the button while holding down CTRL, the craft will start patrolling, not return to the base. So this is a visual problem only. I suspect the same would occur with similar other things were the GUI should change based on CTRL-pressing.

I suppose this is due to some changes in SDL compatibility (see some earlier issues, for example, at https://github.com/libsdl-org/sdl12-compat/issues/215). What happened in the upgrade was that earlier I had installed "native" SDL 1.2.15, the system upgrade switched this to "sdl12-compat-1.2.60", which tries to provide compatibility but actually uses SDL 2.0. Updating to the latest sdl12-compat (1.2.68) didn't seem to help.

I suppose it's more probable that this is a problem in sdl12-compat, but I suppose it cannot be ruled out that there might be some issue with the GUI code (while it still works in native 1.2). Not sure how to go about trying to find the root cause for this; ideas are welcome.

2)  With music and/or sound effects, I'm getting strange beeps now and then, so far I've noticed this only in the battlescape sounds. Still trying to figure this out.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Issue 1) also  appears with vanilla OXCE with XCOM1.  EDIT: This is not restricted to just CTRL. In the inventory screen, holding down ALT does not display the weapons' damage ranges.

So far I've come across 2) only with XCF (with and without resound mod). At least "new battle" with vanilla OXCE XCOM1 didn't have any strange beeps. It may be an issue of which track or sound effects are playing.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 11:56:56 pm by psavola »