Author Topic: [Suggestion] Real Hit Chance displayed When UFOExtender Accuracy is ON  (Read 974 times)

Offline Pendra37

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
The previous topic got lost due to some forum thing. Let me try again.

Display the Real Hit chance on the Map instead of the Final Accuracy (= accuracy with all the modifiers applied) when using UFOExtender Accuracy.

I made an app using the OXCE's accuracy calculation snippets. Then run it 10k times for every final accuracy between 0-110 and for every range between 1 and 110. Total of 121 million shots simulated. I put these values into excel and then into OXCE Map.cpp/h.
The game can look up the the value from the static array and display that experienced hit chance instead of the final accuracy. A 30% shot 2 tiles away would display 71%, the real hit chance, instead of 30% accuracy value.
That feels more useful than the acc value.

Obstructions are not taken into account thou. It will tell you the chance that the shot will connect with the target no cover or stuff between the shooter and the target.

Alternatively, it cound display text instead of % like
Bad (0-16% real hit chance)
Weak (17-32%)
Poor (33-48%)
OK (49-64%)
Good (65-80%)
Great (81+%)
So people would not get crazy is a 99% shot misses.

Excel, cpp/h included in the attachment. I also compiled the exe if someone interested.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 11:02:18 pm by Pendra37 »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Or you can use jnarical's 'Realistic Accuracy' in BOXCE.

I'm not sure displaying a different fake accuracy value is of particular utility for most players.

Offline Pendra37

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Every chance based thing is fake. Probability is not math, it is just some game you can play with numbers.  You can have 99.99999% chance to win and you can still lose. The number will just give you a likelyhood to win. You can also say that you have a good feeling about that, that woukd be just as accurate.

I checked the BOXCE thing and it is practically XCOM'12 hit system with all the fixed modifiers and dodads. Old XCOM doesnt work like that and I respect that. The number displayed is based on massive sampling, which results real, accurate chance numbers. If you play heads or tails a million times, it will show you a 50-50 divide between the results, which is accodentally your hit chance in thst game.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Probability is not math...
Thousands of people around the world working in math departments/accounting/quantitative analysis disagree.

In any case, 'Realistic Accuracy' is slightly more like nuCom, but nowhere close. The shots still fly along paths similar to the original, hit nearby enemies and destroy cover. There are some kinks that aren't working very well, but at the very least it shows you a reasonably good actual accuracy estimate.

As long as your static tables discount cover, they will still be of limited utility. Especially if you play BOXCE, where enemies have been taught to take cover.

But, anyway, I'm not the person you need to convince.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Real Hit Chance displayed When UFOExtender Accuracy is ON
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2024, 10:47:48 am »
I don't have any strong opinion about the proposal.

IMHO anything we can display is unreliable.
And players will complain no matter what.

I'll stick to the current system, just because.
Sorry.