Author Topic: Quick question on Bravery  (Read 370 times)

Offline mikmac

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Quick question on Bravery
« on: March 28, 2024, 10:50:40 am »
How important is bravery would you say? Do you guys fire agents with 10 or 20 bravery?

Thx again for an excellent mod!

Offline krakp

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question on Bravery
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 11:10:33 am »
This is how it worked in the original XC.

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Bravery

Not sure if Bravery was modded in any way in XCF.

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 11:13:52 am »
Bravery as such is not all that important. It's more important as a gatekeeper for special trainings and progressing your agents.

Combat pilot training requires 40 bravery (and gives +10) and Install TNI requires 50 (and gives +10), Sectoid Legacy requires 60. You need to have these to get Helix Knight or Psion.

So the transformation/training process - especially for the agents you hire later on - gets much smoother if you get at least 40 or close to it in the stats lottery.

Of course, you can get improvements from panicking, getting wounded and for example by using pepper spray. Bravery can also be trained by putting cowards on a craft and making dogfight the enemies. A low-tier manor and its hunter-killers 3-4 times a month with a LITTLE BIRD is ideal for this.

To make the trainings and transformations smoother, later in the game I might be more inclined to sack the agents with very low bravery. In particular when you get hybrid training and want to unlock their maximum PSI fast, I almost always sack the ones with 10-20 bravery. Having 40+ initial bravery would be ideal. But in the beginning of the game I'm not picky at all (so many agents will die or get wounded in any case).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 12:36:35 pm by psavola »

Offline HinterDemGlas

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 04:12:31 pm »
I didn't pay that much attention to Bravery in my current game, but I guess I lost some people to panicking after being hit by incendiaries.

Of course, you can get improvements from panicking, getting wounded and for example by using pepper spray.
Also, importantly, healing items except sprays. I think it's a 9% chance for improvement per wound healed. When I have an experienced agent with a guts deficit I make them a medic.

There are some relatively easy ways to grind the system, like abusing Psiclones or depleting your agents' sanity on purpose, but those are kinda boring.

Bravery and current morale also count towards PSI-Defense, so you do want to max out Bravery for your elite soldiers eventually.

Offline mikmac

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 05:48:48 pm »
Thx for the replies!

Offline Empiro

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 12:11:18 am »
Bravery is much easier to increase in this mod compared to the base game. Early game, money is tight enough I don't reject anyone. Later on, I'll likely reject based on PSI strength than anything else.

Commendations give boosts that aren't counted against the cap (you can have more than 100 bravery this way), but they do count for requirements for trainings and enhancements.

Besides using interceptions (Bases/Embassies are great for this), Healing is a great way in combat. Just make the low-bravery agent the preferred medic, and it'll go up on its own.

One other way is using the garrote and surfboard weapons. Neither weapon is great, and you only can get surfboards on the surfs up mission.

It's really good to maximize your bravery because the Kukri is an amazing weapon due to its bravery scaling. At 140 bravery, you have +59 damage from bravery alone.