aliens

Author Topic: [Solved] Info if Terror mission too far away  (Read 448 times)

Offline Thyros

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[Solved] Info if Terror mission too far away
« on: January 22, 2024, 10:02:16 pm »
Hello.

Some terror missions are on the other side of globe of your base and are out of your aircrafts range. When you get a message about a terror mission can you check if its within your bases aircraft range and if not just add an info that its not? Aometimes you just waste time by aending an aircraft and just as its about to land you get a message its out of fuel and turns back.

Cheers

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Info if Terror mission too far away
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 10:14:09 pm »
You can check that easily (2 clicks) by selecting your craft in the base and look at its range.

Offline Thyros

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 10:16:07 pm »
Thanks

Offline Thyros

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 10:20:39 pm »
You can check that easily (2 clicks) by selecting your craft in the base and look at its range.

Just by the way does that aicrafts range diminish over time. I mean if you send an aircraft towards a terror mission will the circle get smaller after time?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 10:28:49 pm »
Just by the way does that aicrafts range diminish over time. I mean if you send an aircraft towards a terror mission will the circle get smaller after time?

No, the circle doesn't get smaller, why would it?
That circle is what you can do with your current fuel.

If you decide to stop and patrol, or change a destination (direction), then it changes of course... but then it's not even a circle anymore, but a pear-shaped blob (which is why we don't draw the range when you're outside of the base).

So send the craft to the terror site and don't stop or change direction and you're fine.

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
  • Y'all are awesome! Thankful for this community.
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 07:27:40 pm »

FYI for anyone wondering... you have to enable 'RADAR' (default key 'R') in the GEOSCAPE screen which will show base radar and craft radar 'AND' then craft max distance when selecting a target will be displayed.  Posting here, because I had no idea this was an option (usually have radar disabled) and it took me a while to start looking for this feature and figure it out only after reading this post.  Thanks for the screenshot Meridian. 

Super low request, and not necessary, but it would be nice to decouple the hotkeys for the three: base radar, craft radar, and craft max distance.
Probably the easiest way would be by having a separate hotkeys to toggle in the geoscape hotkey options for the three.  That way you could set the hotkey for all three as the same key and then the functionality would work like it does now or have separate ones.

I find that I only use base radar when planning and building a new base otherwise prefer not to look at all the radar rings, but I do now use the craft max distance all the time and I often use the craft radar after launching a craft to target or when patrolling to I.D. alien activity. I just never noticed the craft range before because of usually having radar off most of the time.  I'd prefer to set the craft radar and max range as the same shortcut as I use them all the time and the base radar as a separate shortcut as I use it seldomly.