Author Topic: Need tips for Golden Academy Tower  (Read 769 times)

Offline MoonKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
Need tips for Golden Academy Tower
« on: December 29, 2023, 08:53:47 pm »
Puh. I discovered my first Golden Academy Tower. It is damn hard. All my units can fly. I have UAC rifles and some alien laser weapons and a lot of TNT.
It is to hard.

What is the goal here? Do I have to kill all enemies? Or can I steal something and then run away?

Any tips?

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Need tips for Golden Academy Tower
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 06:50:30 am »
It's basically highest tier manor. Kill everyone. There's weird doohicky at the top, as description says, but it does nothing, which may be an oversight. There are two kinds of academies - witches & ninjas (couple assassins), and witches & osiron. Which one do you have?
It's probably better to have your own tanks for this assault. Ignore it until you're comfortable dealing with it if you can afford to.
Witches are kinda sturdy against lasers. They work, but not especially good. I'd probably take macro SMG against them, or sonics. EMP grenades one-shot Stormclouds. I'd keep tank or two in the main hall and flew up with the infantry. The windows allow you to make some hit-and-runs on witches, and there is some decent cover in the rooms (keep handy the motion scanners).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 07:15:47 am by Stone Lake »

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 07:46:36 am »
You may also need to review your weaponry. UAC rifles are a low-tier weapon. It is effective against unarmored targets (dmg 3x0-30), but as the armor increases, it becomes more and more useless. While it may still work against some ninjas, for example against BL War Witches, Elite soldiers, etc. you're in trouble. I'd suggest something that packs enough punch and/or ignores or degrades at least some of the armor (e.g. sniper rifles, UAC chainguns). I'm actually a bit surprised how you've managed so far and not upgraded to something more effective against armored enemies than UAC rifles.

Offline MoonKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 09:30:02 am »
Thanks a lot for your thougts. Not sure if there are witches or ninjas. I see black lotus soldiers in white and blue dresses.

About the weapons. This is often an overwhelming topic for me. I try to compare the values of the weapons but at the end it is to much for me. To much weapons. To much to compare. I also know the Ufopedia wiki which is easier to navigate then the in-game ufopedia.

What is SMG? There are a lot of weapons with SMG in their name.
What values do count?

What I currently use is
 - UAC Rifle
 - BlackOps Rifle
 - Sometimes alien lasers if I have collected them.
 - and a lot of TNT

Everything else seems to be to heavy or have disadvantages in the values (TU costs, range).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 09:32:28 am by MoonKid »

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 11:18:24 am »
Not sure if there are witches or ninjas.
There's witches AND ninjas, or witches and osiron.
I see black lotus soldiers in white and blue dresses.
These are the war witches. Who are they are accompanied by? Ninjas are fragile, but osiron troopers are fairly tough, around same as witches themselves.
What is SMG? There are a lot of weapons with SMG in their name.
I specifically wrote macro SMG. It's admittedly rare, though. Smartgun is sorta good, but also rare. Lacking that, I'd use blops CAWS with AP ammo. Or UAC chaingun. Rifles kinda suck for most of the game, it's usually more reliable to just come close and unload an auto. Laser ones are fine, but still sorta meh. However if you like range-der, try blops sniper/galil/fn fal, but only for 95+ accuracy soldiers. So, basically anything with 35+ power and decent amount of shots.

Overall, in situations like this, use gun simulator on the wiki to minmax against an enemy. Select your unit type, weapon or two, and enemy. And compare the damage values at various distances. Three-ten-twenty tiles is distance where most encounters happen (or should happen).

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 11:33:40 am »
The weapon effectiveness can be an overwhelming topic, but you must know at least the essentials to survive, let alone succeed well. But you've already found out the trigramreactor wiki so you're on a good start. Take for example BO auto-sniper rifle: https://xcf.trigramreactor.net/master/article/STR_BLACKOPS_AUTO_SNIPER_RIFLE

The key things to look out for here are:
 - what is the damage type, i.e. KINETIC. This is what most 'classic' guns do. If you compare the effectiveness of various guns against enemies, you should  check if some are particularly weak or strong against some damage type.
 - how various stats affect accuracy (ie. you need good accuracy, at least 90 to use it effectively, preferably 100+)
 - how accuracy boosts the damage (ie. with 100 accuracy you have the base damage of 50, and with 50-200% damage spread you could get more - this is among the best with easy access KINETIC weapons)
 - how the weapon penetrates armor (armor efficiency of 0.75).

Compare this to UAC rifle. Against 30 armor, in average UAC rifle does only a couple of points of damage. But BO auto-sniper with 100 accuracy deals in average about 30 points of damage. So while you might not one-shot heavily armored foes, typically at most two shots with a sniper rifle will kill most enemies.

There are also many other parameters, but these should get your started.

I've myself found the gun simulator way too cumbersome to work with (you need to input too much information) and haven't bothered with it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 11:38:02 am by psavola »

Offline MoonKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2023, 03:17:33 pm »
Thanks a lot for your help. I just want to play and do not become to scientific about weapons. I still have pen and paper with notes about weapon skill values etc. I don't want to get further.

I will check out the weapons you mentioned.

It seems that I am currently not able to buy a BlackOps Smartgun. Some dependencies might be missing, e.g. Advanced Robotics Prerequisite.

About the other guns I found out that their names are translated. I am not sure if this is for purpose or if I can open a bug report about that?
The original name is also not present in the debug output. There is only the macro name (e.g. BLACKOPS_CAWS). I needed to change the UI language.

Offline Empiro

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2023, 04:22:36 am »
Smartgun gives you Advanced Robotics Prereq. You don't need it to research it. You do need Promo3 to acquire it, but I assume you have that already.

The main challenge is getting a copy of the Smartgun to research it. You'll only find it occasionally in Syndicate crates. You can get it for free too from high-tier Syndicate agents.

I highly recommend the Smartgun if you can get your hands on it. It's probably the best generalist weapon in the game.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 12:55:57 am »
The mission itself is fairly easy. it is the reinforcements which bring the challenging portion to full front.
I typically keep a few able bodies near the front entrance because reinforcements will spawn from the front corners or the rear corners. If the rear corners, you have a chance to open the main front door and the reinforcements will enter the rear doors (there are 2 of them on each side of the main stairwell). A few will linger and surprise you on following turns so keep eyes peeled.

Flying gear helps you enter through upper levels but this can sometimes potentially trigger reinforcements. This will be a learning process.