Author Topic: [DONE][Suggestion] Base info UI changes  (Read 739 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
[DONE][Suggestion] Base info UI changes
« on: December 29, 2023, 09:59:12 am »
So, bringing this up from the relevant discussion on the Brutal AI subforum.

The proposal:
  • Make any bar that goes off the right edge of the screen scale its 'max' value to the right edge (or, for aesthetic purposes, a little less than that) and the 'current' value to it's proportion of the max value instead of an absolute value. This way, the cutoff shows you the percentage of the space being used, or personnel available.
  • Remove the numbers from the base info screen background(s), since these won't be accurate any more, and most of us probably don't read them anyway. This will conflict with the OXCE goal of leaving the base game relatively untouched, so not sure if it's a good idea. The alternative would be to introduce 'Alternate Base Info UI' as an option, but we all know there are too many options already.
  • Scale the base defence background numbers higher than 1200, since a proper defence system regularly goes higher than that, even in vanilla UFO. This seems to have come up before, here and here at least, although not in the OXCE subforum nor as a suggestion. Same problem as before.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 10:03:24 am by Juku121 »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Base info UI changes
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 11:07:37 am »
1. sounds ok to me
2. OXC/OXCE try not to provide any pictures, sounds, etc. and leave that to modders... especially images based on original graphics, which we don't have any permission to modify/distribute... it is already possible to mod this background, so I don't see any more todos here for OXC/OXCE
3. can be done

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Base info UI changes
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 12:37:33 pm »
Fair enough. Personally, I don't particularly care about 2., but I foresee some purists complaining about the numbers not matching up five years hence. :)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [DONE][Suggestion] Base info UI changes
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 12:52:52 pm »
1. done (`oxceBaseInfoScaleEnabled: true` in options.cfg)
2. already available
3. done (`oxceBaseInfoDefenseScaleMultiplier: 100` in options.cfg... e.g. 400 means 4x zoom in, 25 means 4x zoom out)

https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/commit/d5184602eb018e7824cac57dda71f745acc4e827

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 02:30:20 pm »
Neat and appreciated!

Offline Alpha Centauri Bear

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 03:58:27 pm »
Are these options visible in advanced options in game configuration or should be tweaked manually in file?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 04:00:50 pm »
Are these options visible in advanced options in game configuration or should be tweaked manually in file?

Currently only manually.

But I will add them (and many other missing options) to the GUI soon-ish.

Offline Alpha Centauri Bear

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 05:03:41 pm »
Thanks!

I understand standard compatibility courtesy requires to keep it as an option. However, from my point of view, this changes bars only beyond the point they are unusable anyway. So it may be easier for newbie modders to not even know that such option exists and get this neat improvement automatically.
Just thinking out loud. I am good either way.