aliens

Author Topic: Engine mechanic changes for BAI  (Read 431 times)

Offline Alpha Centauri Bear

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Engine mechanic changes for BAI
« on: December 28, 2023, 02:39:00 am »
I will start this as a separate topic as it may be something other people do not want.

As I am testing it I realize that equality comes with the price. When we allow AI to use all same dirty tricks previously reserved for player only we may reconsider whether to give them to both sides at all.

One thing is the ability to notice shooting/throwing origin. In theory this should serve retaliation purposes to shoot back in the direction shot came from. That does work for player against AI as AI does not shoot/throw other than attack human units. Human, though, use throwing for other utilitarian purposes like pass over something to a teammate, establish smoke shield, illuminate battlefield. Since these kind of action does not directly threaten AI would it make sense to not show that to AI? Otherwise, it feels like AI retaliates against a soldier accidentally dropping something on the ground.

Another option would be to restrict perception to such events by distance. I.e. don't show flying items farther than some distance. This way player/AI may guess a direction but not the exact origin. Or restrict them by ability to potentially see (assuming each unit can notice it in 360 degrees). Like if it is hidden by smoke then such activity is not seen, etc.

Another question is whether AI aware of being motion scanned and try to stay still whenever possible?

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Engine mechanic changes for BAI
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 08:35:41 am »
Another thing might be to create training facility similar to MC lab because they die quite fast and getting experience in combat is not an option anymore.
I heard such facilities exist but never saw. Is it something can be done with ruleset?
Please don't blend everything into one.
BAI is AI. It's not the mod.
Contents are made with modders, which is you. And as soon as you make TFTD mod you may include it and make changes for either stats caps and training power of the facility.
Also, you can vary alien stats.
Also, you can vary weapon power.

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 11:54:36 pm »
As of 8.0.0 dropping things on the ground and opening doors is no longer registered by either AI nor the new feature with pressing Alt. However, throwing stuff from one soldier to another is still registered, as that creates a projectile which is where the registering takes place.

I personally also don't really like changing that.

No, the AI is not aware of the source of actions like motion-scans, mind-control or using a medipack, as only actions that create a projectile are registered.

Offline Alpha Centauri Bear

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 03:00:30 am »
That is fine. Not insisting. Just thinking out loud.