aliens

Author Topic: [Submod] Everyone surrender  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[Submod] Everyone surrender
« on: December 25, 2023, 04:40:38 am »
Added     canSurrender: true to everything.
Barely tested.
Purpose: No longer battle against wimpy things, they must surrender. No more kill 100 people in base attack.
I hope it work. Feedback welcome. Also money.
Edit : Forgot to add the file :p

Edit 2: As suggested I make a mod. But still its incomplete because "can surrender" work in relation of bravery and many units got 110 bravery. I dont touch that because make the mod more easy and is not my intention.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 07:01:19 am by Belcanzor »

Offline Kozinsky

• Captain
  • Sorry for my bEd English
    • View Profile
Re: [Submod] Everyone surrender
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 09:15:28 am »
Sorry, but it's not a submod, it's a piece of XCF. The implication is that this file should be replaced in the mod itself, not installed and connected by a separate submod.
For the convenience of users who are not programmers, I recommend formalizing this as a submod.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 12:23:42 pm »
Eh, I see this as a submod - it's an alteration of a modification of the original game (actually even a rework of the original). Lots of games pretty much force you to alter a mod directly if you want to make a submod/modmod. Doesn't make the end result any less of one.

This submod just doesn't use the mod infrastructure of OXC(E), and as a consequence will only ever work with one very specific version of XCF. So, yeah, making it into a 'proper' submod would be preferable.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 12:25:15 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 03:46:22 pm »
It's pretty easy to make:

Code: [Select]
units:
  - type: STR_ALIEN_BRAIN
    canSurrender: true
  - type: STR_DREAMSPRITE_RED
  - type: STR_SKELETON
(...)

Repeat for every unit which doesn't have the "canSurrender: true" flag. And also make the metadata file.

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 07:16:23 am »
Sorry, but it's not a submod, it's a piece of XCF. The implication is that this file should be replaced in the mod itself, not installed and connected by a separate submod.
For the convenience of users who are not programmers, I recommend formalizing this as a submod.

Sorry for misnaming. I was just playing with the files.
Can mods remove this post? Please?

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 07:19:41 am »

units:
(...)

Repeat for every unit which doesn't have the "canSurrender: true" flag. And also make the metadata file.
Thank you. I upload without knowing enough. Dont know what metadata is yet. Was trying to make certain battles less annoying. Right now I m fighting some cultist and everyone panic but nobody surrender.

Edit: By the way I just "discover" you are the moderator :p Can you clean all this mess, I mean this topic. I be more careful next time.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 09:15:57 am by Belcanzor »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 02:23:55 pm »
No need to be so shy, just make a proper submod ouf of your existing work. Use one of the other mods as an example, e.g. 'Stupid Mongorns', copy their metadata file and directory structure, make your changes, update the .rul file as Solarius indicated (basically, delete everything between unit ID and 'canSurrender') and it will be fine.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 02:25:35 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2023, 10:04:05 pm »
No need to be so shy, just make a proper submod ouf of your existing work. Use one of the other mods as an example, e.g. 'Stupid Mongorns', copy their metadata file and directory structure, make your changes, update the .rul file as Solarius indicated (basically, delete everything between unit ID and 'canSurrender') and it will be fine.

Finally got what Metadata is.
Ok. Perhaps I give it another try. But after days of testing they still dont surrender until all the boss types are down. The idea was to surrender faster.
By the way: all the people x-com "interrogate" died? Even the farmers?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2023, 09:38:23 am »
Well, are your enemies panicking? They won't all surrender if there's still someone brave among them, or someone who hasn't been conked on the head.

Perhaps upload a save when that happens, we can then check why they're not surrendering.

As to the farmers, I don't think it's made explicit anywhere. If you turn on 'retain interrogated aliens', then the actual aliens and alien-like critters will be killed and you get their body, yes. I think farmers are still ambiguous.

But given how 'Staff Inputs' describe the red-haired lady's methods, I wouldn't be surprised if the occasional farmer/ganger was lost in the process. ;D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2023, 02:19:30 pm »
Generally interrogated humans are implied to be moved to regular prisons or released.

Maybe I should make an article to state this outright, since people tend to have some unhealthy ideas about this. :P

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2023, 02:25:12 pm »
In OXCE you can set the option that you get the corpses after interrogation, but XCF forces this to be disabled. So the interrogations don't lead to executions. Based on SS's answer I wonder what happens to the interrogated aliens or other monsters. They need to be moved to some prison-like environment as well, rather than killed. Unless their interrogation leads to vaporization and you don't get the corpse that way.

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2023, 11:25:49 pm »
Is not like I was to stop capturing them, they are a got source of income, I was curious.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2023, 11:57:40 am »
Generally interrogated humans are implied to be moved to regular prisons or released.

Maybe I should make an article to state this outright, since people tend to have some unhealthy ideas about this. :P
https://xcf.trigramreactor.net/master/article/STR_STAFF_005
You already have one.

Offtopic: and in X-Piratez there are 2 conflicting articles about this. This what happens when you forget your own creation.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2023, 12:57:07 pm »
I mean, if you're willing to adopt vague staff rumours about individual interrogations as gospel, interrogations burn the subjects to death. :P

Offline zee_ra

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2024, 12:15:34 pm »

units:
(...)

Should the type: be instead override:.  I assume, it's a more correct approach when developing a submod.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 05:40:10 pm by Meridian »