Author Topic: 12 avalanche missiles (that HIT) fail to take down a Large?  (Read 648 times)

Offline Geronimo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
12 avalanche missiles (that HIT) fail to take down a Large?
« on: December 23, 2023, 01:47:12 am »
What the heck? 6 missiles not killing it I could believe. 12? No.

And it was definitely a large, not a very large.

Offline CrazedHarpooner

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: 12 avalanche missiles (that HIT) fail to take down a Large?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2023, 02:05:15 am »
Which one of the large ships? I don't believe a Terror Ship could keep on flying if all 12 avalanches connect, even with minimum damage of 50 per missile you would still reach the half health breakpoint, so unless you have to do more than half health to shoot down, that's very unlucky. On the other hand, a Supply Ship can keep on flying with 12 hits, it could go down with 11 if they all hit with full damage but it could also take up to 22 avalanches to reach the half health point.

Offline Geronimo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 07:10:58 am »
Bluntly, that may be true (given the way the game works) but it is insane and unbelievable. IMO.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 07:58:54 am »
Why? The whole idea of the game is that you're fighting an uphill battle against an enemy who has a massive tech advantage, and the point where your SoD breaks is that a giant saucer made of alien supermetal is hard to down with starter missiles?

Offline Geronimo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 07:47:35 am »
Probably my sense of physics, and the fact that even being hit with one missile is enough to bring one of our planes down. It's too big a brick to swallow comfortably.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 10:07:59 am »
Our planes are eggshells compared to theirs, even if we don't account for the alien supermetal and antigravity drive. And we've stopped armouring ours, on top.

Offline iodsnips

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 02:00:40 am »
Imagine traveling back in time in an armoured helicopter, and a small crew of individuals of that time period shoot 12 wooden arrows at your door.  A few stick, but most slide or bounce off.  They might mess up the paint job of your army helicopter.

The men with bows & arrows down below are angry that the metal flying monster lives.  For any running or swimming beast they've encountered before would have definately died from that many projectiles!

We're just lucky that in the X-Com universe the aliens don't have energy force fields making damage thresholds even more unpredictable.  I get more agitated when my advanced plasma weapons destroy craft that I mean to crash only, following them up with an invasion party such as a very small alien ship.  I always need to keep a dedicated craft with cannons only handy.