Author Topic: [Suggestion] craft inventory tile (weapon's pile) removed from map  (Read 570 times)

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
I'd like to suggest the feature of removing the craft inventory tile (weapon's pile) from the map completely.

Currently, if specified craftInventoryTile will indicate where the pile will spawn, else it will spawn at the 1st soldier location. But it will spawn somewhere regardless.

But what if for some reason the modder doesn't want any items to appear, and only the items on the soldiers are available. The fate of these pile items would be recoverable if the mission is successful, or something along these lines.

Reasons for this could be an infiltration scenario where only carried equipment is allowed and everything else is left behind. I can think of Piratez Mansion missions as a concrete example.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: craft inventory tile (weapon's pile) removed from map
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 03:17:14 pm »
Wouldn't the player just stuff all the junk in the inventory, and then drop it before the battle?

I know it's limited, but still possible, and encouraging metagaming...

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: craft inventory tile (weapon's pile) removed from map
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 09:27:17 pm »
I normally pre-equip my troops before leaving the base, then depending of the craft, scenario and such, I may or may not press CTRL+ALT+X to remove all unused items off the craft. In some cases I may add some small stash of ammo and med-kits using the "add on top" feature.

Wouldn't the player just stuff all the junk in the inventory, and then drop it before the battle?
I know it's limited, but still possible, and encouraging metagaming...

If you play like me, my soldiers are stuffed to the max weight possible with everything they might need. Some outfits may be limited in space. So no actual room to carry stuff, except maybe for items in the other hand. My units would look like Arnold in the movie "Commando" at the beach scene :-)

But you raise a good question. How the requested feature would work when at the unit equipment screen before battle, items are dropped. In this case, I'd imagine it would work the same as in the multi-level scenarios where the troops advanced to the next level by rushing to the exit and not killing everyone. The loot pile made of discarded inventory items will be generated at the default location (position of first soldier).

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] craft inventory tile (weapon's pile) removed from map
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 12:33:28 pm »
I kinda like the idea.

The inventory tile would have to remain, but I can move all the items from it to "limbo"... and handle it during debriefing (similar to items from previous mission stages).

This would solve also the "metagaming" issue.

I checked the code, and it's not super-easy to implement, but doable.
I'll return to this later.

Or sooner, if there's more votes on it.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 04:36:39 pm »
As long as the old inventory pile system still works, I see no problem if a modder wants to divest the player of all their extra equipment during battle for some reason.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 05:13:02 pm »
Yes, this would be only performed for alien deployments specified by the modder.
(Player cannot choose.)