aliens

Author Topic: Some of your most Bizarre missions?  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Some of your most Bizarre missions?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2023, 06:18:36 am »
What I find to be ironic is how difficult it is to deal with small ufo's early to mid game. it seems like those first few ufo's you encounter are on steroids.
I know it gets easier because x com gets better technology but I swear those first couple small ufo's are so difficult to deal with.
You mean medum scouts and stuff? It's hard if you intend to outshoot the plasma rifles with your peashooters. But with measly 40-60$k, you can execute very-high tech
Code: [Select]
smoked incendiary dog rush ⭐ technique. And it becomes fairly manageable. The luck I'm getting here is ridicilous, though. Dare I say, "bizzare". But it also goes better if you don't get sectoids facing you.

On the other topic, I had no idea that industrial missions can be so fun.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2023, 11:39:54 pm »
Not really the whole mission was bizarre (and I don't really remember if that happened in X-COM Files), but I once managed to save someone from bleeding out by throwing his body through the house window on the 3-rd floor. A doctor was waiting outside.

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2023, 03:00:01 am »
You mean medum scouts and stuff? It's hard if you intend to outshoot the plasma rifles with your peashooters. But with measly 40-60$k, you can execute very-high tech
Code: [Select]
smoked incendiary dog rush ⭐ technique. And it becomes fairly manageable. The luck I'm getting here is ridicilous, though. Dare I say, "bizzare". But it also goes better if you don't get sectoids facing you.

On the other topic, I had no idea that industrial missions can be so fun.

In your vdeo I see you put the prisoners in the green spot. They dont wake in that place? Asking because handcuff is a pain.

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2023, 05:34:26 am »
SpoilerOfftopic:
In your video I see you put the prisoners in the green spot. They dont wake in that place? Asking because handcuff is a pain.
They do wake up. If I decide to run away, green spot stuff will come with me, that's all.

Yeah, handcuffs are a bit of a pain and do not work 100% on very strong captures, like zombies. As for keeping prisoners down, other options are not much less painful, though. Smoke is probably my favourite, but has it's problems.

First, you can just forget about most early KOd cultists - they don't wake up too often. Especially, if you use baton rounds - they don't just stun, but reduce health, and hurt prisoners can't overcome stun easily. The ones that do wake up, will fight. But when there isn't anyone non-stunned left, they will automatically surrender (if they can surrender. Most humans can, except dagon priests and up).

Second, staying in smoke stuns a little - e.g. smoke grenades. You can use this to keep most of your prisoners stunned. Though, if you take too long and prisoner is badly hurt, you will overstun them (broken heart insted of Zs) and they will begin to lose health too.

Third, overstunned ones pretty much never wake up. You can shoot downed targets, including with tasers, to overstun (or finish off) them. If you used only tasers, you'll have ~10-15 turns I guess before prisoner is dead.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 05:38:40 am by Stone Lake »

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2023, 08:00:35 am »
Thats a lot of useful info. Thank you.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2023, 02:05:59 am »
SpoilerOfftopic:
They do wake up. If I decide to run away, green spot stuff will come with me, that's all.

Yeah, handcuffs are a bit of a pain and do not work 100% on very strong captures, like zombies. As for keeping prisoners down, other options are not much less painful, though. Smoke is probably my favourite, but has it's problems.

First, you can just forget about most early KOd cultists - they don't wake up too often. Especially, if you use baton rounds - they don't just stun, but reduce health, and hurt prisoners can't overcome stun easily. The ones that do wake up, will fight. But when there isn't anyone non-stunned left, they will automatically surrender (if they can surrender. Most humans can, except dagon priests and up).

Second, staying in smoke stuns a little - e.g. smoke grenades. You can use this to keep most of your prisoners stunned. Though, if you take too long and prisoner is badly hurt, you will overstun them (broken heart insted of Zs) and they will begin to lose health too.

Third, overstunned ones pretty much never wake up. You can shoot downed targets, including with tasers, to overstun (or finish off) them. If you used only tasers, you'll have ~10-15 turns I guess before prisoner is dead.

The syndicate office manager is one of my favorites. I'll typically carry stunned enemies to the first floor closet.
Throw them all in there with one guy watching the door while the other 3 or 4 (Undercover mission landrover, van humvee only) explore the building.
And as you know, that building is large, many floors, rooms to scan.

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2023, 07:23:31 am »
The syndicate office manager is one of my favorites. I'll typically carry stunned enemies to the first floor closet.
Throw them all in there with one guy watching the door while the other 3 or 4 (Undercover mission landrover, van humvee only) explore the building.
And as you know, that building is large, many floors, rooms to scan.
Well, rats basically trivialize these vertical layouts. Motion scanner + psi sense to pinpoint the floor. Can't hide from rats in the basement...
But yeah, I remember having much trouble with those myself, including walking captures. Especially with the CEO mission, all those walkers and supersoldiers with rockets... nightmare fuel. That's why in my older run, I decided to just bombard the building with artillery. Didn't work as I hoped to (razing it to the ground), but had some fun. Workers suiciding from the building, priceless. Then the "high manager" "got scared" too and came out himself to "give up" (:. So, kinda worked out.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 07:26:33 am by Stone Lake »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2023, 06:00:50 pm »
Well, rats basically trivialize these vertical layouts. Motion scanner + psi sense to pinpoint the floor. Can't hide from rats in the basement...
But yeah, I remember having much trouble with those myself, including walking captures. Especially with the CEO mission, all those walkers and supersoldiers with rockets... nightmare fuel. That's why in my older run, I decided to just bombard the building with artillery. Didn't work as I hoped to (razing it to the ground), but had some fun. Workers suiciding from the building, priceless. Then the "high manager" "got scared" too and came out himself to "give up" (:. So, kinda worked out.

I see your screenshots in green (nightvision) for night missions.
Not sure if you know but you can "Hold CTRL + END" to brighten up night missions.
Pressing CTRL + END multiple times makes it even lighter. Nearly identical to a day mission (but only visually). Enemies are still hidden like a night mission.