Author Topic: any mod installation instructions?  (Read 826 times)

Offline CT62

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
any mod installation instructions?
« on: August 12, 2023, 02:35:02 pm »
Hello,

Longtime (old) player that recently grabbed XCOM and TFTD from gog and after beating UFO Defense found OpenXCom, OXCE and XCom Files here.  Decided to try them, but having a hard time figuring out the right way to extract XCom Files and get OXCE to recognize it.

I extracted the XCom Files from the Zip folder to This PC>Documents>OpenXCom>mods but when I run OXCE XCom Files is not in the mods list nor can I figure out how to select it as a New Game (and in fact, it does not appear to have an option to select TFTD rather than the original).  It has a Mods button, but XCom Files is not listed.

I am rather unskilled when it come to these things, but I did install mods to NWN, NWN2 and even the massive Baldur's Gate/Baldur's Gate 2 mega-mods back in the day so I figure I should be able to figure it out.  The instructions in the README just made it sound rather simple and apparently I am missing something.  Is there a thread somewhere that gives any more detail about how to install and get mods to run?

Thanks a million, have a great weekend!

Offline yergnoor

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: any mod installation instructions?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 03:42:47 pm »
You need to click on the big button located above the list of mods

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 03:55:42 pm »
Yes, as Yergnoor explained.

Many major mods, like The X-Com Files, X-Piratez and some others, are "master mods" rather than normal mods (for several technical reasons they work better this way). This means that they are treated the same way as both vanilla games (UFO and TFTD).

Hopefully this helps. Have fun! :)

Offline CT62

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 02:14:49 pm »
wow, I am a moron.  Awesome!

Thank you Yergnoor and Solarius, that was exactly the obvious thing that for whatever reason I failed to see/recognize.

cheers!