Author Topic: [Suggestion] Displaying Dodge on aliens ("psiDefence" and "meleeDodge")  (Read 782 times)

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
Armor stats "psiDefence" and "meleeDodge" still don't have any display. This is very unfortunate, since they are the hardest to set up and balance.

I suggest -
1) make the display of these parameters in the inventory instead of the usual parameters, or under them.
2) In the display window of the characteristics when using "MIND_PROBE", on the right and left of the unit name.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Displaying Dodge
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 11:07:21 pm »
This should probably need proper solution than trying to squeeze in more in one place.
Probably better solution would be allow to have multiple stats screen instead of only one per unit.
E.g. when you click left on stats screen it will toggle for multiple version showing different stats.
It should be reality easy to implement and even could allow to expose some stats used by y-scripts.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 12:09:52 am »
I meant mostly aliens. Their stats increase with difficulty, and it is their ability to dodge psychic attacks and melee that is of most interest. The inventory option involves mind control of the target, which is not always possible. In my modification, mechanical aliens are immune to mind control. But if there is no other way, then this is also suitable. Do you mean 2 pages of specs when using "MIND_PROBE"? Is it possible?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 01:51:26 am »
Yes, this and player units stats screen too.
Overall I do not currently have plans to change anything, but if I would do, it would be on this screen.
If other modders think this is interesting change then I or Meridian could implement some thing like this.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 02:41:13 am »
It sounds very tempting, but also would be a challenge to design sensibly and aesthetically.
I think such a feature would have to be tied to adding new (custom) stats. And hopefully having tools to design what is displayed and how. With these options available, maybe a skilled modder could use multiple stat screens.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 11:38:39 am »
It sounds very tempting, but also would be a challenge to design sensibly and aesthetically.
I think such a feature would have to be tied to adding new (custom) stats. And hopefully having tools to design what is displayed and how. With these options available, maybe a skilled modder could use multiple stat screens.
I think it would start as global mod swich on/off, then when on then by default will populate second page by stats suggested by Ethereal and couple other to not make it complete empty. After that I will expose this screen to scripts and allow them to add or remove data from it.
I would probably do not add rulesets configs for each stat as it would complicate heavily code to handle all possible stats combinations.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 01:19:06 pm »
I would probably do not add rulesets configs for each stat as it would complicate heavily code to handle all possible stats combinations.

Agree. I think "damageModifier", "psiDefence" and "?Dodge" would be enough for the second page. The rest is either too obvious, or does not greatly affect the course of the battle.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 05:08:31 am »
Second page of stats is a goood idea indeed. IF there will be a way to define which stats to show there.