Author Topic: Nothing from the mod seems to use its proper name  (Read 1252 times)

Offline oddtail

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Nothing from the mod seems to use its proper name
« on: March 03, 2023, 03:11:23 pm »
I don't know if this is the correct subforum to ask this, hopefully it's OK.

A year or two ago, I installed OpenXCom and the X-Com Files mod, and played it on and off for a while.

Recently, I figured I'd update the mod (and OpenXCom while I'm at it) since it's been well over a year. To avoid any weirdness, I uninstalled everything and installed both a new version of OpenXCom Extended and the X-Com Files mod.

Now I'm having a weird problem, one I didn't have before. Everything has "STR_NAME_OF_WHATEVER_THE_BUILDING_OR_VEHICLE_OR_ITEM_IS_SUPPOSED_TO_BE" instead of its proper name. That is, everything that doesn't already exist in the vanilla X-Com game.

This shows up in the base screens, in buy/sell screens, and most inconveniently, in Ufopaedia. Which is an issue since that means that Ufopaedia entries are also gone.

Otherwise, the mod is working fine as far as I can tell, so apparently only all text data is not loading properly.

I've checked for a solution both via general Googling and on the forum, but haven't found anything. I'd really appreciate help, because this issue makes the mod... well, not unplayable, but certainly extremely inconvenient. And I have no idea how to even begin fixing it.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing from the mod seems to use its proper name
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 03:57:20 pm »
Which version of OXCE and the mod are you using, where did you download them and how did you install and enable the mod?

This sounds like an issue with the language file.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 04:42:47 pm »
Since your description hints at the base game and mod working ok by themselves, my first suspect would be the display language you've set under Options:Video.

Can you try with EN-US and see if that fixes the problem.

Offline oddtail

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 08:09:01 pm »
@R1dO:

Tried that, switched the language from English UK to English US, but it didn't change anything, including after restarting the game.

@krautbernd:
Which version of OXCE and the mod are you using, where did you download them and how did you install and enable the mod?

This sounds like an issue with the language file.

I'm using OXCE 7.8 (v2022-10-29), Windows 64 bit installer from a link in this forum;
X-Com files 2.8 from openxcom (dot) mod (dot) io (slash) the-x-com-files

I installed the mod by extracting the zip file to \user\mods and enabled it by running OpenXCom and switching the base game to "X-Com files" in the Mods menu.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 08:15:55 pm »
Puzzling.

Perhaps try seeing if Options -> Folders points to the right places?

Also, check whether you actually have properly named language files in user/mods/[XCF]/Language. Perhaps a gremlin ate those? :D

If everything fails, post your config file and full directory tree.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 08:18:48 pm by Juku121 »

Offline oddtail

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2023, 10:03:47 pm »
Also, check whether you actually have properly named language files in user/mods/[XCF]/Language. Perhaps a gremlin ate those? :D

What do you know, the folder was empty. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have no idea HOW that could have possibly happened (I literally did nothing but download the mod and extract it to a folder), but I re-downloaded the mod, made sure everything was there, and everything is fine now.

Thanks again!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023, 11:43:32 am »
I'm too late to help, but glad it got resolved and thanks to you guys for this. :)