Author Topic: [submod] Aquacuffs  (Read 1976 times)

Offline MaxMahem

• Captain
    • View Profile
[submod] Aquacuffs
« on: February 28, 2023, 05:47:46 am »
So I have always loved the idea of manacles. Very piratey, and I'm taking a lot of prisoners anyways. However, in practice, they are kind of borderline unusable, requiring both hands and a lot of TUs, meaning it's almost an entire turn to use them. And they are kind of heavy to boot.

However, through the wonders of technology, the gals could reasonably do better, so introducing AquacuffsTM.

Basically, these are high-tech zip ties. Identical to Manacles in function, but they weigh only 2, come 3 to a bundle, and require only 45% of your TU to use, one-handed. Strength is identical to manacles, 50 (though honestly, I'm not entirely sure what this means in practice, haven't investigated the script deeply.

They are unlocked for free when you get Aquaplastics. Manufacture requires 1 Aquaplastic and produces 5 bundles at a time. (Aquaplastics being rather precious to start makes this another balancing factor). Also, coming 3 to a bundle is also kind of a stealth nerf, in a way, since you have to stash them after use.

Mod comes with a custom graphic and sound effect. I'm happy enough with the new graphic, but I am admittedly no artist.

I think there is some design space left for even more sophisticated "smart cuffs" that would be stronger and even faster to use, but the entire concept is kind of marginal, so unless there is a lot of desire/interest, I don't think I'll extend it any further.

Also included is another rule file that buffs regular manacles only to require one hand and 65% of your TU, making them not quite as painful to use. Simply delete the file if you don't want these changes.

Fair warning, this doesn't crash, but I haven't tested it extensively yet.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 10:28:08 pm by Meridian »

Offline Azoth

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [submod] Aquacuffs
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 10:16:50 pm »
And there is design space for less strong cuffs, which will be dirt cheap, but only usefull on civis.

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 10:05:47 am »
The best manacles is punch-n-a-face :D

Offline Ruberto

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2023, 03:49:03 pm »
Nice idea, i always felt htat manacles were a missed opportunity, too bothersome to apply and too easy to break by anyone you would care to apply them to in the first place.

Offline Dead Nettle

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 11:36:28 pm »
I love it. Seems like something Cleo's clones would use.