aliens

Author Topic: Posible virus in a Nightlies file  (Read 1700 times)

Offline MixtxVic

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Posible virus in a Nightlies file
« on: February 18, 2023, 01:23:59 pm »
Hi guys, sorry to bother you with this. I'm new guy on the OpenXcom community. Just downloaded it a week ago.

First of all, experience have been awesome, its such a blast to play and not having to cry for the base game problems, so thank you for making this :D.

But anyways, Monday I downloaded, in another pc, one of the latest nightlies .exe(Latest 2 files, not sure wich one tho) and played 2 days without a problem like normal. Third day, after booting the pc, the desktop icon was gone. AVG (I know, its one of the worst anti-virus) recognized it as a potential malware and after running a test, it found something called IDP.Generic inside it(my poor research on google says it is a trojan). Normally I don't trust AVG but it showed me a couple of files, like key loggers or something and it got really paranoid now.

I'm not sure if those files were actually within de exe or if they were in the computer to begin with, its a work computer from a friend.

Could someone explain me a little more about it if you know something or have had similar experiencies. I don't really thinks that can be something dangerous, but just to be sure  I had to ask and/or warn you this.

Nothing more to add, sorry if this is an awful post or if it falls into the wrong category, its my first time on the forum and that issue got me scared as...you know, haha.
Thanks you guys in advance and have a nice weekend!

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Posible virus in a Nightlies file
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 01:54:17 pm »
What file suppose have a virus? Its lasted OXCE nightly? I checking using Microsoft Defender and it should is clean.
If your file have same checksum as one form server then its mean its false positive form AVG and should be ignored.

There are even online scanes that allow check files for viruses, first from google is https://www.virustotal.com and its say exe is clean.

Offline MixtxVic

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 04:52:59 am »
I'll try virustotal when I get home tomorrow. Yeah that was my reasoning too, AVG has a tendency to have false positives. But just in the slightly case of being real problem I did the post. Like, maybe the  uploader could have their computer infected without knowing too. It was more a being careful type of thing

I'll check on it in these days and let you guys know, just in case.
Thanks for the reply and the help :D

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 11:34:58 pm »
I almost always have an issue with the downloads but it's only a reputation scan. Because my AV lumps it into anything that could potentially look like a virus.
I have active exceptions for all my x com folders, download folders, etc. to avoid any issues (also helps speed up extraction times).

I've literally never had an issue once. Not even open X com extended oxce  :P