Author Topic: Switching between mods but keeping the advanced settings.  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
Switching between mods but keeping the advanced settings.
« on: November 17, 2022, 06:48:09 pm »
Someone asked me to try out the XCF-mod with my AI.
So I installed it, and started testing.
Found a bug in my AI related to some specialized units, fixed it, played around a little.
All fine.
I realized that the Mod had altered and fixed some of the advanced settings. I'm totally fine with that. When the Mod-author wants these to be fixed because they fit the intended experience in the mod.

However, when I switched back to vanilla, the altered advanced settings remained altered.

So it would be nice if those could kinda be saved in separate files or something.
Like when I first enable a mod, it copies the main-one, makes it's alterations and such. But the vanilla-settings don't get changed from that.

That's what I'd prefer. Especially under the prospect of wanting to test more mods in the future.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Switching between mods but keeping the advanced settings.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 06:52:14 pm »
you can have multiple openxcom installations

you can also have a single openxcom installation with multiple config files (e.g. via command line arguments)

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Switching between mods but keeping the advanced settings.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 11:21:21 am »
I guess next time I try a mod, I'll make a copy of my config-file before and restore it when I want to go back. That seems easier than trying to figure out how to use command-line-parameters from within Visual-Studio.