Author Topic: Getting the EXACT SAME map in two different missions, down to enemy placement  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Marrik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
So I started a new game in the new version, and right now I have 2 different Black Lotus missions, one in Vietnam and one in Australia, with two different cars about to reach them at about the same time. I discovered that regardless of which mission I do first, they both have an identical map and enemy placement is exactly the same. Is this normal? I don't remember seeing this ever before.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
So I started a new game in the new version, and right now I have 2 different Black Lotus missions, one in Vietnam and one in Australia, with two different cars about to reach them at about the same time. I discovered that regardless of which mission I do first, they both have an identical map and enemy placement is exactly the same. Is this normal? I don't remember seeing this ever before.

It's extremely unlikely, but may still happen with a large enough sample. :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
It's not even unlikely in this case.
If it's the same deployment and the same terrain (and approximately the same landing time) for both mission sites, then they will generate identically.

In other words, if all input parameters are the same (including the RNG seed), the result is also the same :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
In other words, if all input parameters are the same (including the RNG seed), the result is also the same :)

Even after one of them is complete? That sounds weird... Wouldn't it be reasonably common in vanilla to have two Large Scouts shot down over the same texture?

I'm not doubting your words of course, just curious how it works.

Offline yergnoor

• Colonel
    • View Profile
The text of the question can be understood to mean that only the first choice of either of the two options yields the same result.
I discovered that regardless of which mission I do first, they both have an identical map and enemy placement is exactly the same.
Apparently the game was saved before selecting one of the missions.
Not that two battles in a row are the same.
But only the one who asked the question can give an unambiguous answer.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 07:21:32 pm by yergnoor »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Even after one of them is complete? That sounds weird... Wouldn't it be reasonably common in vanilla to have two Large Scouts shot down over the same texture?

I'm not doubting your words of course, just curious how it works.

No, not after you complete one, in that case it is of course practically impossible.

But he said he tried both "as first".