Author Topic: Nations stop funding - Defeat  (Read 4094 times)

Offline jackmoodles

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Nations stop funding - Defeat
« on: October 30, 2022, 02:30:35 pm »
Ok, got to end of May 97, research going well. Completed almost every mission given to me but funding was cut completely due to (I think) about -2000 each month as the bad guys factions kept appearing randomly on screen giving me -300 each time (red dawn, black lotus etc)

Help!

Love this game but don't know how to progress

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Nations stop funding - Defeat
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 04:26:42 pm »
You didn't lose founding so much as you automacilly lost the game for two consecutive bad ratings.

Might I ask what difficulty you're playing at?

Offline jackmoodles

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 12:16:10 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

I'm on beginner. Completed about 7-8 missions per month in pretty quick time.

Had negative ratings every month (ie terrible) as the minus 300 about 5-6 times a month due to pop ups from the New Dawn etc .

I'm only gaining 8-10 points for a successful mission.

How can I get a "good" month?

Offline jackmoodles

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 12:51:33 pm »
Just tried a restart from an earlier save.

End of April 97 approaches and I get "Iron Eagles shot down" -150 points,   "Shadow of Lotus" -300 points.

End of month report -955.

Next month I'll get shut down again! How can I stop this?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 01:06:18 pm »
Ask Solarius to turn down BS random events that serve no actual purpose. Or edit the rul files yourself, seeing how it's all plaintext.

"Shadow of Lotus" points to you being behind on cult network research. Which cults do you already have research/which cult members have you interrogated?

Might help if you upload a save file.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 01:21:33 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 01:43:23 pm »
Bad events happen from either ignoring missions and letting them expire, or waiting too long with research (Like cult networks)

Though, one pure bullshit thing is that the cult apprehensions have a penalty of 200 points if you ignore them and you only get 10 points if you capture targets alive, any deaths from your guys means negative score.

Meaning ignoring 1 cultist apprehension is equivalent in doing 20, successful, casualty less ones.
And these missions dont spawn once per month, but multiple times.

I have attached the modified txt file to this post if you want it the simplest way. It changes all cult apprehencion penalties from negative 200 to 10
Just replace the file in Mods/XcomFiles/Ruleset
(Alien deployment)

Offline jackmoodles

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 07:40:07 pm »
Thanks guys. I seem to have got through this by researching something the UN approved of.

They are now more supportive of xcom despite my negative monthly scores!

Thanks too Mrvex I'll try that modified txt file if (or when!) this happens again

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2022, 11:42:42 am »

I have attached the modified txt file to this post if you want it the simplest way. It changes all cult apprehencion penalties from negative 200 to 10
Just replace the file in Mods/XcomFiles/Ruleset
(Alien deployment)

You my friend are a life saver.

I'm going through the exact same thing as the OP. So glad I found this thread. I didn't know the research would negatively effect the score (get me all those -300 warning points).

Love this game, I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 12:41:49 pm »

I'm going through the exact same thing as the OP. So glad I found this thread. I didn't know the research would negatively effect the score (get me all those -300 warning points).

The "warnings" are intended to push the player towards advancing the cult storylines, but apparently they either aren't clear enough, people don't read the briefings/ufopedia entries or stumble into these and can't recover. Still think Solarius should turn the penalties down.

What was unclear about the connection between cult research and the warnings / what prevented you from pushing research into that direction?

Offline Advancement

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2022, 12:52:28 pm »
Ye I lost game once on some high difficulty due to absurd ammounts of "kill-x-animals" missions on same time spawning/despawning.
You just have to get over with it. Some days you will be seeing nearly zero mission spawns, top weapons/armor and yet still no Ethereals...

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2022, 03:02:15 pm »

What was unclear about the connection between cult research and the warnings / what prevented you from pushing research into that direction?

Honestly ? It's slightly embarrassing to admit. It's just me.

I am severely dyslexic. Have reading comprehension issues. It takes me several times reading a document to understand it.

Little did I know as a youth, I gravitated toward music (playing violin at 7 years old) and then became a Mastering engineer (Audio) in my late 20's. That's my day job now.
What I lack in "eyes to brain" comprehension, it is 10x fold stronger in my "ear to brain" comprehension.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 03:06:33 pm by Chuckebaby »

Offline superpippo90

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 08:36:29 pm »
I'll write here too: maybe it's irrelevant, but please check the OXCE version you are using. I had tons of those -300 random events, and they fell back to normal, manageable numbers when I updated mine to 7.7.3.

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2022, 07:18:21 pm »

Researching something doesnt directly give you negative score with the exception of MAGMA deals, given you arent far enough in the mod, MAGMA is a Russian weapons and tech manufacturer and it will trade with XCOM, they generally provide hard hitting weapons that are heavy to carry and use, but hit hard as a truck. As you research advanced tech, MAGMA will send you offers for their exclusive merchandize in offer for alien tech, if you do give them what they want, you instantly get hit by a score penalty and for the rest of the game, random, negative events will pop up from time to time, so its nessesary to pay extra vigiliance and do one extra job to keep the council happy if you happen to get hit by one of these events.

The other thing is, while this is metagaming of the highest degree, but researching new "story arcs" opens up new missions (And negative events) that will start spawning until you resolve the WHOLE arc, opening up...too many cans of worms can lead to you being overwhelmed with missions, this can be both good and bad (Alot of oportunities for good score, experience and loot, but your own sanity and your soldiers life is at risk) but some of the missions and the gear required to completely resolve it are two completely different tech levels.

For example, the Shogg Arc
You initiate it by investigating caves and discover that there is a underground world waiting to get explored, once you get the first research, from top of my head, 3 missions will start spawning, you can get this thing pretty much around promotion 3, by the time, you will be lucky you have the tactical heavy armor for most of your troops (This is an advanced infantry armor that has the bulk required to withstand most firearms without being scratched, once you get this, anti-cult missions will become super easy because only high caliber weapons can even hope to scratch your dudes).
So, you have your metalic armor, blackops weapons and then you start getting these missions

1) Raid
Underground craft spawns in a village  with a squad of aliens, armed with gauss weapons, that will one hit KO your soldiers from frontal hit from full HP unless they roll for ULTRA low damage (The weakest gauss weapon hits for 80 dmg) Gauss Weapons are strongest kinetic weapons in the game and they are meant to be used against things like.... tanks and power armor. Not people.

2) Depthpocalypse
Avoid at any cost, do not, this is mission with difficulty worthy of end game gear, extremely heavily armoured enemies, lots of them and all armed with hard hitting weapons, this is pretty much terror mission by the time you dont even have laser weapons.

3) Croc Assassination
How about the Raid, but instead, you can only take concealed equipment.

There is a silver lining though, the gauss weapons and a new resource type you can get from these missions (esp the raids that are the easier thing here) can be used by humans if you just run these weapons thru research, so if you can bite it down, you can get access to extremely hard hitting weapons relatively early on, you just cant make ammo for it and the raids will be your main source.

And these missions are just the surface of opening this story arc, there is alot more here, but you shall see it for yourself.

Offline AmanitaVerna

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 05:21:02 pm »
I've hit Depthpocalyse twice now, because it has a -750 score penalty if you let it expire, and something like -300ish if you go in and immediately lift off. I don't remember what I did the first time, but the second time I went in with advanced rocket launchers and shot the motherfrakking lobstermen with motherfrakking tritanium shrapnel rockets.

Offline Advancement

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2022, 05:29:24 pm »
Deathpocalyse is those Lobster Mans?
They can be killed by sniper rifles. Normal gauss and lesser sonics are not working against them.

ps. by the way why their death/sound is not from regular game?