aliens

Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] scaling up the interception window to show more than 8 craft?  (Read 1322 times)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
The interception pop-up window shows at most eight craft, for the rest you have to scroll them down. In usual campaigns you'll have more than that (I have never exceeded about 12-14, but I suppose that is possible as well). This is likely a result of 320x200 planescape, where you couldn't fit much more on the screen (maybe one could squeeze in a few more if you took all the screen). I suppose everyone currently plays with higher resolutions and scaling. I wonder if the size of the interception pop-up window could be scaled up so that it would show more craft at once? Or would that be technically unfeasible if you also have to provide compatibility for the 320x200 mode?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
It is not very easy, but doable.

But I don't understand why scrolling a list of 12-16 craft is a problem. It's one easy move of a finger on the mouse wheel to scroll from "page 1" to "page 2". It's not like you need to search in a list of 100 items.

Furthermore, much better option is to intercept by clicking on the base and select from the 1-4 craft on the base... before hyper-wave decoder, I use this in 70-80% of cases, after hyper-wave decoder in 100% of cases (since you know where the UFO is going).

Happy to hear from others about their experiences.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
You cannot attack with more than 4 planes anyway, no? :o

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
You cannot attack with more than 4 planes anyway, no? :o

Correct... but he's not talking about the Dogfight GUI... he's talking about the Intercept GUI (that opens when you click on the INTERCEPT button in the geoscape main menu), if I understood correctly.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Correct... but he's not talking about the Dogfight GUI... he's talking about the Intercept GUI (that opens when you click on the INTERCEPT button in the geoscape main menu), if I understood correctly.

Exactly. I've been accustomed to click 'intercept' button in the notice popping up when a new event/ufo spawns (if I get a sense where in the world the event is, only happens sometimes) or click the intercept button in the right side panel immediately afterwards. You're certainly correct that if you don't much use those screens, but rather go through your chosen base to launch intercept, this is not an issue.

The global intercept button is also a great means to get a summary report of all your craft, so it would be nice to have a view that shows easily more than just 8 of them. But if this is difficult to implement, this is obviously not a huge thing.

Offline Buscher

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Sorry for bumping.

I just wanted to mention that there was a similar thread which contains a link to a possible solution, assuming you are willing to compile your game.

For mods such as UNEXCOM the edit was quite helpful. The mod has quite weak crafts and each hangar facility can contain 2 crafts so each base ended up with 6-8 crafts. For normal game play the normal window size usually suffices.