Author Topic: Sonic munitions disassembly for Zrbite.  (Read 2975 times)

Offline zee_ra

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Sonic munitions disassembly for Zrbite.
« on: July 28, 2022, 04:53:11 am »
I would like to inquire, if it is possible to disassemble sonic ammunition for Zrbite?  My survey of the tech tree, both trough the middle click, and through the wiki (at the https://xcf.trigramreactor.net) had yielded no result.  It appears that at this point in the game, it is only possible to disassemble the plasma weaponry ammunitions for Zrbite, but not the sonic weaponry.

This situation is less than ideal, since there exists a craft that uses Zrbite, and some of the earlier sonic weapons are not being as useful as the game progresses.  Ideally, the munitions for the lighter weapons should be recyclable to both advanced craft fuel and to heavier munitions.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic munitions disassembly for Zrbite.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 09:22:52 am »
Yeah, not possible. Try this (just paste it next to all the other XCF .rul files). Costs and times were extrapolated from Sonic vs Plasma clip manufacture values, with Sonic Cannon as the baseline for human sonics.

Offline zee_ra

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 10:20:48 am »
Yeah, not possible. Try this (just paste it next to all the other XCF .rul files). Costs and times were extrapolated from Sonic vs Plasma clip manufacture values, with Sonic Cannon as the baseline for human sonics.

Thank you for sharing this.  Could you please confirm where the file should be going to.  Should it be the following directory, relative to the game (OpenXCom) executable: user/mods/XComFiles/Ruleset/?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 10:22:59 am »
Should it be the following directory, relative to the game (OpenXCom) executable: user/mods/XComFiles/Ruleset/?
Yes. Right next to manufacture_XCOMFILES.rul.

Offline zee_ra

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 08:40:04 pm »
Yes. Right next to manufacture_XCOMFILES.rul.

Thank you.  So far, the changes appear to be workable.  I will play-test more thorougly, and report later.

Could you please suggest, what would be the best way to add additional localization to these definitions?  I suspect, some fields need to be added under the extraStrings.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 08:48:08 pm »
Could you please suggest, what would be the best way to add additional localization to these definitions?  I suspect, some fields need to be added under the extraStrings.
Well, the best way would be to make Solarius adapt this and merge the changes into language files.

Barring that, change the end of the file to look something like this:
Code: [Select]
extraStrings:
  - type: en-US
    strings:
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_SONIC_PULSER: "Zrbite (from Sonic Pulser)"
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_SONIC_PISTOL_CLIP: "Zrbite (from Sonic Pistol Clip)"
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_SONIC_BLASTA_RIFLE_CLIP: "Zrbite (from Blasta Power Clip)"
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_SONIC_CANNON_CLIP: "Zrbite (from Sonic Cannon Power Clip)"
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_CONCUSSION_CANNON_CLIP: "Zrbite (from Concussion Cannon Clip)"
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_HUMAN_SONIC_SHOTGUN_PELLET_CLIP: "Zrbite (from Sonic Shotgun Clip)"
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_HUMAN_SONIC_SHOTGUN_FOCUSED_CLIP: "Zrbite (from Sonic Shotgun Focused Clip)"
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_HUMAN_SONIC_HEAVY_CANNON_CLIP: "Zrbite (from Sonic Heavy Cannon Clip)"
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_HUMAN_SONIC_HEAVY_CANNON_FOCUSED_CLIP: "Zrbite (from Heavy Cannon Focused Clip)"
  - type: en-GB
    strings:
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_SONIC_PULSER: "Zrbite (from Sonic Pulser)"
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_SONIC_PISTOL_CLIP: "Zrbite (from Sonic Pistol Clip)"
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_SONIC_BLASTA_RIFLE_CLIP: "Zrbite (from Blasta Power Clip)"
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_SONIC_CANNON_CLIP: "Zrbite (from Sonic Cannon Power Clip)"
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_CONCUSSION_CANNON_CLIP: "Zrbite (from Concussion Cannon Clip)"
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_HUMAN_SONIC_SHOTGUN_PELLET_CLIP: "Zrbite (from Sonic Shotgun Clip)"
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_HUMAN_SONIC_SHOTGUN_FOCUSED_CLIP: "Zrbite (from Sonic Shotgun Focused Clip)"
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_HUMAN_SONIC_HEAVY_CANNON_CLIP: "Zrbite (from Sonic Heavy Cannon Clip)"
      STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_HUMAN_SONIC_HEAVY_CANNON_FOCUSED_CLIP: "Zrbite (from Heavy Cannon Focused Clip)"

Offline zee_ra

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 10:55:44 am »
Well, the best way would be to make Solarius adapt this and merge the changes into language files.

Is there a means to submit a pull request or an equivalent?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 11:37:43 am »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 08:44:35 pm »
A really good idea, I'm doing this.

Offline zee_ra

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 07:25:28 am »
A really good idea, I'm doing this.

Thank you for taking this into consideration.

Please allow me to share some notes, after a most recent playthrough.  I find that the only viable costs for Zrbite extraction are around 400-600.  Otherwise, even with two large workshops, the extraction becomes so time-consuming that it hardly ever finds use until the Zrbite becomes available for regular purchase.

I also found that the presence of the reasonably priced (time-wise) extraction options enables an advantageous use of both X-Com sonic weapons (actually, sonic cannon mostly) and the dropship vessel.

I also did a further experiment with replacing Elerium with Zrbite for the TORMENTOR vessel, and found that the general mission Zrbite usage had still been reasonable even then, and the 400-600 Zrbite extraction operations had provided just enough compensation, until the finding of Hydro Dynamics.

I also found that editing heavy sonic cannon focused charge to contain 10 shots, even if it costs 40 Zrbite to produce (scaled from the original 4 Zrbite per shot) still fits within this economics, though perhaps just barely enough, if the cannon gets used regularly on the then-common Lobsterman missions.  I think, it would be more reasonable to have the focus module use 1 Zrbite per shot.  This is more consistent with how Elerium is treated (e.g. in case of a plasma cannon).

Finally, replacing the Elerium guided rocket with Zrbite powered guided rocket (same explosive damage type, with type 3 uniform distribution), costing 3 aqua plastics plus 1 Zrbite yields a very useful result.  Now, I'm thinking that a 3 aqua plastic plus 3 tritanium plus 1 Zrbite shrapnel guided rocket, at 200 damage, would be a great addition.  In general, guided rockets are indispensable for base defense and other general offensives.

I would like to experiment with a gas rocket.  It should cost 3 aqua plastics, but I'm not sure if it should also include any Zrbite costs.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 07:34:21 am by zee_ra »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 11:16:54 am »
All right, I'll cut these time requirements to roughly 1/3 of the current costs.
As for the sonic cannon, I'll withhold for now, until I test it better.

Offline zee_ra

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2022, 06:11:19 am »
All right, I'll cut these time requirements to roughly 1/3 of the current costs.
As for the sonic cannon, I'll withhold for now, until I test it better.

Sounds good.  Please note that the grenade reprocessing cost of 5000 is an outlier and excessive, even compared to the Elerium variant.  In principle, it's not particularly pertinentent, due to the utility of sonic pulsers as compact and lightweight HE package replacements.

I wonder, what test case do you have in mind?  I find the tactics with extensive psi use with subsequent application of a sword to be very effective.

Also, I wonder, if there's a way to produce the vibro blade?  It may be less competitive with e.g. a psi blade, but a good consistent damage maker for less psi experienced soldiers on execution duty during underwater engagements.

I wonder, if there's a rationale for the sonic cannon not having a mode with fewer shots?  What about a 2-shot snap shot?  Also, the explosive shots could in principle have 5 charges instead of suggested 10 above (note e.g. the case of UAC rocket launcher).  Since those are Zrbite based, it stands to reason that the additional power in a compact package is justified.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2022, 06:30:01 am »
Please note that the grenade reprocessing cost of 5000 is an outlier and excessive, even compared to the Elerium variant.
I don't recall how exactly I got 5000, but the idea was to consider the time it takes to make an Alien Grenade and a Sonic Pulser from scratch, and multiply Alien Grenade breakdown time by that. Looks more like 5 * 400 = 2000 right now.

Offline zee_ra

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2022, 06:37:56 am »
I don't recall how exactly I got 5000, but the idea was to consider the time it takes to make an Alien Grenade and a Sonic Pulser from scratch, and multiply Alien Grenade breakdown time by that. Looks more like 5 * 400 = 2000 right now.

I think, a good argument for specific numbers would be to reference the similar numbers for the disassembly of plasma-based items.  E.g. for a heavy plasma clip, the time cost to make is 80, while to break down is 400, or about 20.0%.  For a plasma rifle, the numbers are 80/320, or about 25.0%.  For alien grenade, 200/400 or 50.0%.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2022, 06:42:13 am »
Yeah, but sonic weapons have generally inflated manufacturing costs. And 25% is not far from the 20% in the calculation above. 5000 is indeed strange, I might have mixed up some numbers when I made the original minimod. :-[