Author Topic: [Suggestion] Unit Teleport  (Read 3404 times)

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] Unit Teleport
« on: July 12, 2022, 06:03:34 pm »
Since is easy and possible to teleport in craft preview, isn´t possible to add that variable to armor. Note that i don´t mind pressing the crtl+H for it

armors:
  - type: Exemple
    Canteleport: True
    teleportmaxperturn: 1 (mandatory for balance)

Also i understand all map´s will be able to teleport and most armor have Canteleport: False

if this is a feature to consider, the teleport sound and hitanimations is also a request :P
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 06:06:10 pm by bulletdesigner »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Unit Teleport
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 09:45:19 pm »
I would not mix `ctrl+H` with game mechanics.
Teleport to be consider should have cost and limitations (have range?, have los?, was tile discovered?).
It would lot more checks and logic to work property, now unit after teleport is not fully correct state as have some properties that was linked to old state.
For debug logic this is fine, but for game feature not.

In far future I would like to allow for scripts to move units around. This would enable some fun mechanics like throwing beacon that can make unit teleport to it.
Or simply implementing your request. But again this is far future as it require some critical change to make it work.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 08:53:06 am »
Interesting idea, really. Problem is - AI will never be able to use it. And AI SHOULD NOT be able. Xcom principe can be ruined with such thing.
When writing it, i get in mind another cool idea, possible letal for gameplay: once i make a typo and give movementtype: 5 to unit.
This unit can move, but lose no TU and, what is most important, became able to move through walls.
So, if possible to fix TU spending, we can begin creating our own army of ghosts.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 09:23:46 am »
I also like this idea of teleportation, but not as a property of units, but as properties of items. It would look much better - not to create a new unit on the battlefield, but to teleport the existing one to where it is needed (taking into account such parameters as - "LOSRequired", "maxRange" and "tuUse").

Offline N7Kopper

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 02:23:35 pm »
Interesting idea, really. Problem is - AI will never be able to use it. And AI SHOULD NOT be able. Xcom principe can be ruined with such thing.
When writing it, i get in mind another cool idea, possible letal for gameplay: once i make a typo and give movementtype: 5 to unit.
This unit can move, but lose no TU and, what is most important, became able to move through walls.
So, if possible to fix TU spending, we can begin creating our own army of ghosts.
Bosses being able to teleport could be fine if done properly. (The Chosen in UFO Defence? Sounds good to me!) Also generic units if they can't attack afterwards, given how hyper-lethal classic X-Com combat can be. (Check your flanks and you get free Reactions exp! Don't and you get shot in the arse!) If you want to see a fair example of unlimited enemy teleportation, look at Fire Emblem Gaiden/Echoes. The Witch enemy class can teleport anywhere on her movement phase, but the AI specifically limits how it uses that teleport so it doesn't always gank your squishy healers and magic-weak armour knights. That probably wouldn't work with Extended's AI, but there are other ways to make it work.

If it's bosses, that could force players on their toes even when they have elite PSI-troopers, because the boss could decide to take one out if you let the enemy spot your hidey-hole. Or you can flip the script and have hero units as well, in case you feel like having a climactic final showdown where X-Com have to hold the line against swarms of mooks that would overwhelm the heroes while you also control a few overpowered heroes that can kill the bosses who would utterly cream your normal soldiers.

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 02:44:22 pm »
In a mod type X-Chronicles, there could be magic wands that allow you to perform max n jumps, 1 in turn, consuming TU perhaps depending on the distance of the jump

Some alien terror units may have the random ability limited to one occurrence per turn to perform a teleport jump to a vacant cell at a certain distance. Also in this scenario, TUs should be partially consumed

Obviously it is a difficult feature to implement but consistent with the game engine you are developing with OXCE ;)

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 02:49:48 pm »
While waiting for this feature it will be better to stock up on proximity mines and maybe other types of traps ... maybe you would also need a new type that once it hits a subject prevents it from teleport-type jumps for n turns :P

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 02:54:01 pm »
While waiting for this feature it will be better to stock up on proximity mines and maybe other types of traps ... maybe you would also need a new type that once it hits a subject prevents it from teleport-type jumps for n turns :P
proxy is another thing to consider for teleport, should unit trigger it or not? what about reaction shots?

Offline N7Kopper

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 03:02:28 pm »
proxy is another thing to consider for teleport, should unit trigger it or not? what about reaction shots?
Triggering reactions seems entirely sensible to me. Bad guy in your face? Light him up! Proximity mines should, if you ask me, be based on the mine. Proxy mines flavoured to trigger based on movement could reasonably fail to go off based on teleportation, whereas ones that detect your mere presence would explode regardless.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2022, 03:18:34 pm »

Proxy - definitely yes. Reaction shots - definitely not. What exactly should be - a limitation on the radius of action, line of sight, the cost of action points, stamina and mana.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2022, 03:50:30 pm »
And this is why is hard to implement thing like this when one say "it should" other say "definitely not".
Probably most of cases like this will need some option for configuration.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2022, 04:35:05 pm »
I think we need a whole set of options for armors.rul, units.rul, soldiers.rul and items.rul so that everyone can realize their ideas. Teleportation is a very flexible thing that can be used for cheating, small tactical manipulations or as a debugging tool.

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2022, 08:34:27 pm »
I think this feature is too outside of capabilities of the game engine so I don't like it.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2022, 09:54:33 pm »
I think this feature is too outside of capabilities of the game engine so I don't like it.
No, is possible, is already available as debug tool, problem is defining how it should interact with other game features.
Another problem how UI for it it will look.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2022, 07:43:58 am »
Another problem how UI for it it will look.

How for psionics, well, maybe with a different icon, if I understood correctly.