aliens

Author Topic: [OXC] Feature Request: alien activity graph on Geoscape  (Read 4171 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
[OXC] Feature Request: alien activity graph on Geoscape
« on: June 11, 2022, 10:59:59 pm »
This goes under the category of UI improvements, I guess.

The Graphs are usually one of the most underused features of the game IMHO because you either create a routine of regularly checking the graphs to look for undetected UFO activity, or you simply ignore them to speed gameplay and rely on your radar network.

So, when I was switching between both Graphs and Geoscape, I realized that what I needed was some sort of alert system on Geoscape to avoid having to regularly check the Graphs.

Something like this quick copy/paste I've attached, where the Alien Activity graph has been pasted into the Geoscape. Now if that graph was updated every 30 minutes or so, then the player would know when something interesting is taking place, and then check the Graphs to see the region, etc.

And this feature could be made optional - press a key and it would pop up in the Geoscape.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [OXC] Feature Request: alien activity graph on Geoscape
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 12:40:26 am »
Personally I'd prefer some form of textual feedback (which could also be user configurable with flavor text/whatever) instead of a graph in case there is a rise in alien activity, maybe even identifying the region in question. I like the overall idea of having this information available on the geoscape itself, by I feel the graph would detract from the earth view. Maybe making it smaller or being able to integrate in the right hand panel (when using higher resolution etc) could be an option? IO guess this would be more of a thing for OXCE tbh.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 12:46:42 am by krautbernd »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 01:31:10 am »
Probably main problem will be palette as graphs haves its own. This mean this screen need have colors used by globe not graphs.

For what to show this could be controlled by graph screen, like ctr+r-click for "push" one graph to globe.

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 01:32:38 am »
alternate idea: current score, followed by recent activity score

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 02:26:49 am »
Personally I'd prefer some form of textual feedback (which could also be user configurable with flavor text/whatever) instead of a graph in case there is a rise in alien activity, maybe even identifying the region in question. I like the overall idea of having this information available on the geoscape itself, by I feel the graph would detract from the earth view. Maybe making it smaller or being able to integrate in the right hand panel (when using higher resolution etc) could be an option? IO guess this would be more of a thing for OXCE tbh.

An alternative to the graph would simply be to have a pop up saying: "Alien Activity detected", which could then be specified by region but that would take a lot more coding since it would basically be a feed of those events.

I like both the idea of reducing the size or integrating it on the right hand panel, the least intrusive the better.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 02:33:54 am »
Probably main problem will be palette as graphs haves its own. This mean this screen need have colors used by globe not graphs.

I just made a quick copy/paste to illustrate better the idea, the palettes aren't a problem as you say, just use the globe ones.

For what to show this could be controlled by graph screen, like ctr+r-click for "push" one graph to globe.

The info on XCOM Activity, Income and Finance graphs isn't needed for real time Geoscape proposes, so those could be discarded. Instead, if it was possible for the Geoscape 'graph' to switch between UFO Activity Total and the specific values for Country and Region that would make it the most useful for real time intel.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 02:34:59 am »

Yup, just the Alien Activity score works as well.

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2022, 02:52:41 am »
... a pop up ...

the prob with a popup ofc, its gonna spam the user (and i can't think of a good way to resolve that myself).

It'd be better to catch attention by just flashing a recent-activity number, a few times, when the activity updates ... perhaps by country:

*flash* Argentina 5 *flash* x3

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 07:37:18 pm »
I could definitely use this in my current TFTD LP.

But it is a controversial topic.

First of all, it is useful only in the early game... later you have radar coverage and there's also too much alien activity to track this way. So the player needs a way to turn it off.

Secondly, it does give the player a "free global low-resolution radar", which might go against the design of some mods. Currently, this information is technically available, but it is also insanely inaccessible. You need to check the charts every hour or at least every few hours to use it effectively. And most players are not prepared to do that. Whether that's intentional or not... only Julian Gollop knows. But it's what we have and some mod designers may consider a change from "almost completely inaccessible" to "easy" incompatible with their grand plans. So, a setting for modders to disable this would also be needed.

And no matter, which option you prefer... once it is configurable, all the blame will go to OXC/E devs... players will complain that modders have disabled it for them, and modders will complain that some players have un-disabled it by a sub-mod. Lose-lose situation for the poor devs.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2022, 08:10:29 pm »

Actually, I like pretty same feature in Xenonauts - UFO signs, that give you insight to send craft there.

I thought if something like that could be implemented in OXC(E) or my fork, and I thought about such a design: UFO when receiving score can spawn an event, that would take a region of alien mission as an input. Can be configured in alien mission rules, I guess. Then modder config events like "UFO Sights over North America".
That can't be submodded that easy...