Author Topic: Mysterious Hostile "Human" in EXALT Mansion  (Read 3056 times)

Offline bodkin

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Mysterious Hostile "Human" in EXALT Mansion
« on: May 16, 2022, 08:17:11 am »
I recently attempted an EXALT Mansion and thought it would be fun to go in at night with full Night-Ops gear. I don't have much experience with these outfits, but it was going quite well until something unexpected showed up.

Spoiler:

Every other enemy was named "EXALT", but not these guys. Are they even EXALT units? I managed to kill a few before my team was wiped out so I checked the bodies and they were only labeled "Corpse". They came with an Elite Soldier Badge.

Spoiler:

I can't help but think they were created just to counter night time strategies. I'm not sure how to feel about this, but maybe some of you know something I don't. Who are they?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 08:20:06 am by bodkin »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Mysterious Hostile "Human" in EXALT Mansion
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 10:42:21 am »
No, they're not EXALT members. They're local military forces.

Offline bodkin

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 05:17:50 pm »
So EXALT has hired them to fight against XCom? I didn't realized this could happen. Thanks for the info!

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 05:19:41 pm »
Those are the Manor missions, right?
These are part of the "Reinforcement Alert" units. Essentially mercenaries hired to counter manor missions.

Offline Rag

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 05:30:28 pm »
These are part of the "Reinforcement Alert" units. Essentially mercenaries hired to counter manor missions.
Is that similar to the 10 turns time limit of farmer missions? I was always curious about those and if purposefully waiting 10 turns for them could ever be a "good" idea to get more loot, or if it is just always a death sentence.

I tried seeing how bad it was on my first farmer mission and was immediately killed from off screen, was fun.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 05:32:12 pm by Rag »

Offline bodkin

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 05:35:03 pm »
I certainly hope we get more than 10 turns for Manor missions, because it can take a very long time to clear these locations. It also makes my night-ops gear practically useless since these guys appear to have night vision as well.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 05:51:05 pm »

Yeah, except they're not necessarily mercenaries - they can be just local military forces, since the area is mostly controlled by the cult.

Offline mg2k22

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 06:07:32 pm »
I certainly hope we get more than 10 turns for Manor missions, because it can take a very long time to clear these locations. It also makes my night-ops gear practically useless since these guys appear to have night vision as well.

In my experience they don't necessilary appear at a fixed turn. I believe I got the intervention team at about turn 20 once and another time already at about turn 7 or 8. They were quite a surprise to me the first time I got them...

PS: Once I adopted my tactic and expected them, they were not too much of a problem anymore. Definitely beatable.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 07:45:32 pm »
I think those forces appear twice, like one wave at around turn 5 and another at turn 10.
I have a team with mortars and machine guns just waiting for them when it happens.  :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 11:47:15 am »
The number of waves depends on how advanced the manor is. Their timing is randomised, so sometimes you may get as many as 4 squads in the same turn.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 05:10:49 pm »
The number of waves depends on how advanced the manor is. Their timing is randomised, so sometimes you may get as many as 4 squads in the same turn.
Yes, I noticed it's randomized. (I keep Exalt just for the fun of these manors. And Hybrid bases for the loot.)

I know if you hated the player you would give these local reinforcemets RPGs, RLs and GLs as well. But I know you don't  :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 05:37:36 pm »
I know if you hated the player you would give these local reinforcemets RPGs, RLs and GLs as well. But I know you don't  :)

What are you implying? I'd do it out of love for the players! ;D

But the real reason why their guns are so modest is that I'd need to make a new unit (for the new loadout), and that's a hassle which I think is not needed.

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 10:53:34 am »
What are you implying? I'd do it out of love for the players! ;D

But the real reason why their guns are so modest is that I'd need to make a new unit (for the new loadout), and that's a hassle which I think is not needed.
No Sol. If they had explosives it would be too much. I can just picture two squads showing up at the back of my soldiers on turn 5 of the battle and wrecking all the RPGs.
I once had the luck on the golden tower 2 turns in a row to catch the spawn units (yes, I'm a loser). Dak I lost half my squad, just because I was killed from the rear of a conventional weapon.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2022, 02:03:47 pm »
No Sol. If they had explosives it would be too much. I can just picture two squads showing up at the back of my soldiers on turn 5 of the battle and wrecking all the RPGs.
I once had the luck on the golden tower 2 turns in a row to catch the spawn units (yes, I'm a loser). Dak I lost half my squad, just because I was killed from the rear of a conventional weapon.

Yeah, agreed - this mission is supposed to be a bit of a pain, but this would be just too much.