Author Topic: Updating version M save files to N1  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Torchwood

• Captain
    • View Profile
Updating version M save files to N1
« on: April 17, 2022, 08:34:23 pm »
Hey everyone, this thread used to contain a submod I've made to slow the ninja base spawns.

Upon further examination. I've made some unfortunate discoveries. My attempt to make a mod was a failure - simply put, I've changed a few numbers locally in the piratez_factions.rul to push some of the spawns back, and thought making a seperate .rul file with the changes to missions could achieve the same effect. I was wrong, and followup testing revealed my approach did not work.

I cannot in good conscience release something that doesn't actually work as advertised, so I've removed it. I'd fix it, but with the release of N1, it is no longer necessary.

In consolation, please find attached later, instructions on how to update a running game to N1.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 12:00:17 pm by Torchwood »

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
Re: [MOD] Delayed Ninja Base Spawns
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 10:32:52 am »
Thanks for the mod! Yes early inja spawning is very frustrating, hope Dioxine would reconsider their appearance time... ::)

Offline Covenant

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 06:58:37 pm »
Definitely going to be using this, thanks for making it. Totally agree about the ninjas currently creating that feeling of reluctance to play.

Offline Torchwood

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 12:30:35 am »
Update: As of the release of version N1, the mod previously posted should be considered obsolete. The ninja HQ solution is, quite frankly, a more elegant solution to relieve early game pressure than what I've cobbled together.

Existing games can be updated to N1 with a little put of savefile tweaking. If your game is in an early stage, before April first year, no adjustment is needed. Otherwise, look for an entry above alienMissions: that starts with " alienBases: ".

Replace the first ninja airfield with this:

alienBases:
  - lon: 3.981874523300819
    lat: -1.0869300829375088
    id: 1
    name: Ninja HQ
    pactCountry: ""
    race: STR_NINJA
    discovered: true
    deployment: STR_NINJA_BASE_HQ_1_ASSAULT
    startMonth: 3
    minutesSinceLastHuntMissionGeneration: 0
    genMissionCount: 0

If you update a game currently in April 2601 just before the construction of the first airfield, it'll run the wrong mission script. I'd recommend against it, but you could just edit the savefile later in change it to the correct type.

"lon" and "lat" are coordinates, which determine where's its located - the above setting would put it in northern north america. I don't know enough about editing these to not accidentally place it in water. You can use your month 3 ninja airfield's coordinates instead if you prefer.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 02:18:06 am by Torchwood »

Offline McBlackjack

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Updating version M save files to N1
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 12:55:59 pm »
I'd love to get some advice on what I would need to do to upgrade my game to the latest version.

I am currently in a campaign that I started on version M5.2.1 and I'm in year 2603. I have already destroyed the Ninja Gal airfield a while ago.

Is this part what I need to excise and replace?

alienBases:
  - lon: 1.4232665277214074
    lat: -0.12282639571898994
    id: 5
    deployment: STR_NINJA_BASE_1_ASSAULT
    startMonth: 24
    minutesSinceLastHuntMissionGeneration: 101670
    genMissionCount: 1
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 12:57:36 pm by McBlackjack »

Offline DeeplyCasul

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 03:31:05 pm »
I'd love to get some advice on what I would need to do to upgrade my game to the latest version.

I am currently in a campaign that I started on version M5.2.1 and I'm in year 2603. I have already destroyed the Ninja Gal airfield a while ago.

Is this part what I need to excise and replace?

alienBases:
  - lon: 1.4232665277214074
    lat: -0.12282639571898994
    id: 5
    deployment: STR_NINJA_BASE_1_ASSAULT
    startMonth: 24
    minutesSinceLastHuntMissionGeneration: 101670
    genMissionCount: 1

Hello McBlackjack, welcome to the forums. I'm not Torchwood but this band-aid fix by him is only to convert the first enemy ninja airfield (that you already destroyed) to the new ninja base that spawns less missions and is less active. Since you are already on year 3 and already destroyed it, you can just copy your save file and the options.cfg (if you want to retain your save and options) along with the UFO files to the new version's folder.
There's no need to modify the save in your case.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 03:35:11 pm by DeeplyCasul »

Offline McBlackjack

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 04:12:40 pm »
Thank you very much for the reply. I appreciate your help.

Offline Torchwood

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2022, 09:33:30 pm »
Strictly speaking, you don't have to replace the airfield, that's just my suggestion for balance adjustment. The only thing adding the HQ does is that destroying it give you a big score boost and the ability to enslave all ninja types. For a year 3 save, it'd be a worthy challenge for a crew that stops feelings threatened by anything less than large merc/star gods ships.