Author Topic: Anyone still got the original XCOM games?  (Read 13273 times)

Offline Ran

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Anyone still got the original XCOM games?
« on: March 06, 2013, 10:19:46 pm »
When I first stumbled across this great project about half a year ago, first thing I did was recovering my old XCOM games from the attic.
Even after more than 10 years up there they still look pretty good and even though the CDs are badly scratched, they all work. :)

Anyone got other/older versions?
A friend of mine had the floppy version but the disks became unreadable a long time ago so he threw them away.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone still got the original XCOM games?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 01:05:45 am »
completely different packaging than in the US. Specifically the graphics, i had them but they got destroy a few years ago. :(

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 03:39:01 am »
I had the UFO Enemy Unknown box like you but I lost the box and the manual :( , though I still have the CD

I got Apocalypse from a friend who go it in some pack with carmageddon and some other game but I lost the cd. Never had the inclination to buy TFTD as it looked like a palette swap but I have played a bit of TFTD but I prefer vanilla.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 02:22:36 pm »
I've still got the Apoc box, booklets and CD. The box is starting to feel a little tacky though, probably just the cardboard coating deteriorating

Offline Ran

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 12:43:23 am »
About the packaging - all my XCOM games are german versions as I live in Vienna.

Any of you ever had UFO Defense with the Avenger in front of Mars on the cover?
https://wfgodbold.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/x-com-ufo-defense.jpeg

I think this packaging was never available in Europe, only Enemy Unknown with the weird fly-like cyborg alien that has nothing to do with the game.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/93/X-COM_-_UFO_Defense_Coverart.png

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 04:37:36 am »
I think this packaging was never available in Europe, only Enemy Unknown with the weird fly-like cyborg alien that has nothing to do with the game.

I'm pretty sure that fly alien is due to Microprose making the box art to sell without actually seeing the game or how it works. They also did the art for Apoc which is why XCOM Apoc looks like it's in the 70's

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 10:21:25 am »
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/93/X-COM_-_UFO_Defense_Coverart.png
What? That's exactly where it was available, or at least that's what was available in the UK. UFO Defense (with an 's') is the American name and box art.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 08:50:21 pm »
The weird fly like cyborg alien (as in my avatar pic) on the UFO Enemy Unknown box was from the european release.

This is how the original game released in the US looks like:
https://www.elisoftware.org/index.php?title=X-COM:_UFO_Defense_(PC,_1.44MB_3_1/2%22_Disk)_Microprose_-_1994_USA,_Canada_Release

Danny Flynn, an artist who probably was told: "do some box cover art for aliens invading the earth":
https://www.artweb.com/artwork/296123_ufo-enemy-unknown
For the real fans, it seems you can order it and hang it on your bedroom wall :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:59:49 pm by Daiky »

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 09:02:28 pm »
i found my old PlayStation X-COM: UFO Defense!!!!

i bought this after i moved out of my house since  my original stayed behind :(

And as soon i found found it was available for the PS i snatched one, good memories, even if it was in the PS :D

Offline Ran

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 01:03:32 am »
As I said:
US Version: UFO Defense -> Avenger in front of Mars
European Version: UFO Enemy Unknown -> Fly Alien
Sorry if this was unclear...

If I could choose a poster I'd rather have one with the Avenger, that alien just looks weird :-\

Never seen the Playstation version myself, are there any differences?
What's on the lowest picture on the back of the box - UN Headquarters? Does this appear in the game?

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 05:26:46 am »
What's on the lowest picture on the back of the box - UN Headquarters? Does this appear in the game?
It is the UN headquarters.
I think that shot is one of the loose scenarios right before the alien enter and shoot someone, sorry it has been a long time since i have lost a game :)
I bought this in... i think circa 1995 cant remember exactly, and since i no longer have a PS i cna't even play it, i think the PS version had i think one extra win scenario, maybe i shoudl try it running in on my PS3 :) but i doubt the system will read it.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 05:34:00 am »
It's the same game, just with some extra fixes and polish to fill out the extra space on the disc like digital soundtrack, extra cutscenes (the UN Headquarters comes from there), remade UFOpaedia, etc.

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 05:38:04 am »
well you know i tried popping it into the PS3 :)

it simply tells me "Format disc" :) i think i might have to get a hold of an emulator or something, or maybe see even if it is possible, it will be great to play PS games on my PS3 I still have Wing Commander III and a few other that have survived somehow :)

EDIT
Hahahahahaha
there was a workaround :)
needed to create memory card slot in the PS3 configuration and done!!!

now i can play X-COM in my 64" TV!!!! i think i am going to take a break from the internet for a while!!! :D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:52:51 am by xracer »

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 09:42:35 am »
I bought this in... i think circa 1995 cant remember exactly, and since i no longer have a PS i cna't even play it, i think the PS version had i think one extra win scenario, maybe i shoudl try it running in on my PS3 :) but i doubt the system will read it.

You can use ePSXe on a computer, if you can handle the keyboard controls (you can try with a gamepad, though I never used one with ePSXe).

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 10:46:25 pm »
You can use ePSXe on a computer, if you can handle the keyboard controls (you can try with a gamepad, though I never used one with ePSXe).
It's also mouse-compatible so you can play it like the PC version (in ePSXe, select Gamepad + Mouse for Input and press F5 ingame to enable it), although the PSX mouse is more "floaty" than a PC mouse.