aliens

Author Topic: Schutzstaffeln Ring (summon?)  (Read 1296 times)

Offline DELETEACCOUNT

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Schutzstaffeln Ring (summon?)
« on: February 23, 2022, 05:24:50 pm »
Hi,

I started playing this over a year ago, after finally completing X-Piratez! I haven't played anything but mods for UFO for a few years now. :-)

I realise I am playing an older version - it's been a long game I don't want to risk updating it in case it breaks anything. My version is OXCE 6.9 (I think) and X-COM Files 1.7

I'm at a tricky stage. Sanity loss is so great I can rarely achieve anything on big ships or alien bases, so it's hard to capture any commanders. I've been trying for months (real time) with no success. I may get there in the end - I assume unlocking more research might give new tech to help, but it is a catch 22 as I have nothing left to research until I (presumably) catch a Commander! I have many unresearched plasma items but they require other things I don't have. So I get through each month with high scores, and have over 650,000,000 in the bank.

My question is about the Schutzstaffeln Ring. I finally beat the Syndicate. As usual after a mission I sold anything that had proved useless, so sold yet more Schutzstaffeln Rings. However, then I noticed a manufacturing option:
Syndicate Final Message Decryption
Which requires a Schutzstaffeln Ring ... Argh!

I hoped I would find another, but no luck, and it has been months now!

So, will any Syndicate missions with a ring ever reappear, or is that it? And if so, is there any kind of cheat command that could summon one? I tend to role play and avoid any form of cheating generally (restarting a brand new game when I fail, rather than resorting to a save) but in this case, with 650,000,000 in the bank, I'm sure in real life we'd be able to buy one back, or even just pay to borrow one for a day to unlock the message, then return it. So I can handle that as a one-off, since I can explain it in-world. Thanks!

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
Re: Schutzstaffeln Ring (summon?)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 06:26:45 pm »
I'm not familiar enough with that part of The X-Com Files so I don't know if there are more Syndicate missions with the ring.
is there any kind of cheat command that could summon one?
If you have no other option here is a small mod that should allow you to manufacture a STR_SCHUTZSTAFFELN_RING which I assume is the item in question.

It is untested but I think it should work:
manufacture_ring.rul

Just drop the file manufacture_ring.rul into The X-Com Files 'Ruleset' folder and then delete the file after obtaining the ring.

My advice would be to wait for confirmation that there is no other way to obtain it before using it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 06:30:07 pm by The Martian »

Offline DELETEACCOUNT

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Schutzstaffeln Ring (summon?)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 09:59:25 am »
I'm not familiar enough with that part of The X-Com Files so I don't know if there are more Syndicate missions with the ring.If you have no other option here is a small mod that should allow you to manufacture a STR_SCHUTZSTAFFELN_RING which I assume is the item in question.

It is untested but I think it should work:
manufacture_ring.rul

Just drop the file manufacture_ring.rul into The X-Com Files 'Ruleset' folder and then delete the file after obtaining the ring.

My advice would be to wait for confirmation that there is no other way to obtain it before using it.

Many thanks - that worked! Then the research result didn't unlock anything new to research but left me thinking that something will happen in the future! :-)
I did another raid on a big ship with my best troops, but as usual more than half died or panicked (so I couldn't get them all back in the craft as others kept running away). I had stunned a different coloured waspite, but when I got back I realised it was just a Navigator and they don't give me any new research options. Must only be Leaders and Commanders I need. Something to keep working on.
But it was interesting to see how your mod worked - I found it as a manufacturing item, used that to get one. Clever. :-)