Author Topic: Discord BS  (Read 7097 times)

Offline flyingduck

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Discord BS
« on: February 06, 2022, 10:00:39 pm »
Well, that was pretty unbelievable.

I was at a mine in the middle of the arctic for 17 days and when I came back I'd lost my account.

The reason I'm posting up though, is I didn't see this posted anywhere else:

Appeal your account with discord. You'll get it back, I got mine back.

Very sorry to see X-Piratez and X-Filez gone off discord.

I legit cannot believe the logic behind that.

"Ban everyone else for something someone else said."

Ridiculous in the extreme.

The email I got when I had it reinstated was some of the most condescending BS I've ever seen.

Essentially: "Okay, we'll let you back, but btw, mind the friends you keep and don't you hang around them people no more."

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 10:05:19 pm by flyingduck »

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Discord BS
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 10:45:05 pm »
Aye, we're all in the same position.

There was a couple of threads (one of which was in this XPiratez subforum) detailing the action that Discord took. Forum staff cleaned them up after unsavoury individuals from other social media platforms joined and attempted to post manufactured, defamatory content in an attempt to discredit the character of a number of users. Needless to say, posting false statements about other users is both immoral and against forum policy, and they were purged on the spot.

Regarding Discord, be advised that some servers concerning OXCE (including XPiratez and possibly even XFiles) has opted to migrate away to matrix.org since it has been witnessed first hand that Discord is unable to properly protect users from what is essentially libel. Not all OXCE servers will be moving platform, so you can still find the community mapping team, IDT crowd, 40k et al on discord.

For now, keep an eye on this forum. This place will still be used for everything XPiratez and there will be an announcement in the near future for those who wish to join in with matrix.org.

Thanks for sharing your side of events; mine work in the arctic sounds mad. Diamond industry?

Offline flyingduck

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 12:52:43 am »
Hey,

Google Diavik Diamond Mine, and that will totally explain it.

One of the many things that bothers me about this .... so if this is what they are going to do -- ban everyone -- can someone essentially commit discord terrorism, by making multiple accounts via VPN and just connecting to servers of people they don't like and spamming hateful stuff until Discord's auto mod just bans the server and everyone in it?

Just absolutely unbelievable.

I appreciate the link, and the reply.

I'm going to toss you a PM.

Offline nrafield

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 02:15:03 am »
I'm sadly not as confident about getting my account back, as from what I've read the appeals rarely succeed, and one person already got a negative response. I also had avoided saying some of the more spicy things, but I was messaging relatively frequently, and one of my last message was about wanting to troll someone who became overly focused on smearing X-Piratez's reputation, which, while a noble goal, is not necessarily the most socially acceptable means.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 04:32:33 am »
Hey, similar experience. I'm in the middle of a project and have like 10 days without connecting. Coming back to chill a while and ban, the server is gone. What in hell happened?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 02:12:16 pm »
Further discussion by DM, as clearly we can't have anything approaching civil threads about the subject. I am happy to feild whatever questions you might have in private. Thou fair warning my opinion is pretty biased on how discord operated the matter.

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 04:06:19 pm »
The email I got when I had it reinstated was some of the most condescending BS I've ever seen.

Essentially: "Okay, we'll let you back, but btw, mind the friends you keep and don't you hang around them people no more."

Great, guilt by association. -_-

Throughout history that has 'NEVER' been a bad idea.  :o

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 04:33:48 pm »
I'm glad to hear that someone got an account reinstated.  I also appealed and have heard nothing in response.  Cheers!

Offline flyingduck

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 05:13:46 pm »
RE: Condescending BS:

Discord Trust & Safety (Discord)

Feb 4, 2022, XX:XX PST

Hello,

After further review of your situation, I've gone ahead and lifted the suspension on your Discord account at this time. We disabled your account due to participation in a specific server that was posting content that was in extreme violation of our Community Guidelines.

Please be aware of the servers that you're in, and the content that they post. If servers you're in are posting content that's in violation of our Guidelines, we strongly suggest that you report the content and leave; otherwise, there may be situations where your account will also have action taken on it.

We don't believe that you're responsible for everything that someone else posts (especially in larger servers), but the servers that you're a part of reflect on you.

Sincerely,
Discord Trust & Safety
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 09:26:46 pm by flyingduck »

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022, 09:24:01 pm »
My appeal got rejected by some Cheddar guy. Not that I was very apologetic for something I didn't do, hehe. Think I only ever made 3 posts on that service, 2 in XPZ channel and 1 begging for a script to alleviate paint in some gutter trash F2P game I fallen into. Anyway if they had indeed reinstated my lurker account I'd simply delete it on principle. I know it sucks for many that were far more involved, I'd be pretty pissed and can only offer sympathy. And maybe advice to more away from Uncle Sam reach because it's getting worse. My PayPal for example got nuked a year ago but unlike Discord they didn't bother with messages.

Going forward I've created an account on alternative service I saw mentioned and awaiting invite link that is said to be coming in few weeks time. I like to follow progress and be witty in reactions as I drink my morning coffee with cookies. Hopefully things in your personal spheres settle down so everyone can continue as they were, with added bonus of learning a valuable lesson relatively cheaply.

For what it's worth, I don't condemn anything of what little I saw. In fact such behavior an essential ingredient which sustains civilization in current development cycle. In other words - normal. Can you remember the last time you saw something normal twisted? Bet you can. Snowflakes will be getting what's coming to them and it's going to be Biblical. That's all I got to say.

Offline The Think Tank

• Captain
  • "If we can't see them, they can't see us!" - Rook
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 07:00:58 am »
My appeal was also rejected, with the reasoning deferred to a more explanatory email to which I never received. It might be that users of a certain rank within the server prior to the ban are ultimately unable to file any successful appeal, but I sure as Hell don't know.

Offline Xolvix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 07:08:06 am »
Oh man I missed a ton of drama it seems...

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 09:18:04 am »
Sharing if you got reinstated is fine but please keep any speculation to private channels. If you really must know the details of what happened I will share via DM. But sadly the wider community has spoiled the privilege of being able to discuss this openly.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2022, 04:06:56 pm »
Just chiming in to report that I my appeal was denied: (You know what you did....)

Elemental (Discord)

Feb 8, 2022, 4:55 PST

Hello,

Discord has disabled your account for violating our Terms of Service or Community Guidelines. We’ve reviewed and confirmed this violation, and we will not reinstate your account.

You should've received an email with more information regarding this violation. If you have any questions as to what behavior resulted in your account being disabled, please refer to that email.

Sincerely,
Discord Trust & Safety
Ah well. The end of a chapter.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 04:23:05 pm »
Same here ivan, oh well.