aliens

Author Topic: Strawberry Fields Forever [GRAPHICS]  (Read 4432 times)

Offline Snowfield

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Strawberry Fields Forever [GRAPHICS]
« on: February 06, 2022, 05:24:59 am »
A thread for my stuff. Most of it will feature questionable design decisions and bad interoperability with other mods. Just a heads-up.

Post 1: Cuter Soldier Sprites (this post)
Post 2: Guns

Original subject: Cuter Soldier Sprites

Well, I think so, anyway. Here they are.

I'd be posting this as a released mod, except for one small-ish quibble. It isn't totally experimental, but it uses a script to "reposition" (well, really, replace) HANDOBs at runtime so that they line up properly with the sprite, and the nature of it is such that it's a little wasteful and also not readily compatible with items added by other mods. I had to do it, though, because this is just one component of a larger personal project I'm working on and I want to make the graphics end of things as easy on myself as possible.

Still, the thing will run as is if dropped straight into the mods folder, in case you're of a mind to try it out.

Edit: Fixed a bit of wobble in the walk cycle.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 10:20:36 pm by Snowfield »

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
Re: Cuter Soldier Sprites [GRAPHICS]
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 08:26:57 am »
Nice work Snowfield.

...because this is just one component of a larger personal project I'm working on and I want to make the graphics end of things as easy on myself as possible.

The art style reminds me of Noyemi K's X-Cutes mod.

You may be able to save yourself a bit of time by adapting Noyemi K's inventory images for your mod if you haven't already created your own.

I also made different paperdoll graphics just for this, but like with any other stuff—when I post it, feel free to make use of it

Spoiler Female Undergarment:

Spoiler Female Uniform/Coverall:

Spoiler Female Personal Armour:

Spoiler More Female Personal Armour:

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 08:29:40 am by The Martian »

Offline Snowfield

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 10:34:23 am »
Those are pretty cute. I think I'd be hard-pressed to match their quality; my graphical abilities tend to fall apart at larger scales for things that aren't guns. Might be a good learning experience, though.

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 10:58:54 am »
The more you work with something the easier it gets, even if it doesn't turn out perfectly when new tricks and insight are acquired for use in the next project it is worth it.

I'm not sure if it will be useful to you but you can get your hands on the original X-Com inventory images 'from this thread', they can be pretty handy even when only used as a guide for image size and position.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 11:03:10 am by The Martian »

Offline Snowfield

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Guns [GRAPHICS]
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 09:56:34 pm »
Speaking of guns, guess who it is?

That's right. Guns. It's me. Guns.

(BIGOBS only because HANDOBs are still a pain in the neck. I should note that the rifles are sized for an alternative inventory pattern I cooked up for my own use, so once again there's not much in the way of cross-compatibility with other mods, but the handguns follow the usual scale, so you might find those, er, handy.)

First up are my replacement candidates for the regular guns in the base game. From top to bottom, there's the dual-purpose pistol-slash-boat-anchor commonly known as the Mark 23, the slightly-more-reasonably-sized M9, a mysterious (and fictional) 6.8 mm carbine from somewhere around the early 2000s, the Mk 46, the vaporware XM109 with vaporware HEDP, HE, and incendiary rounds, the regular old M82A1, the vaporware XM25 with its vaporware HE airburst ammo, and the AT4-CS.

Edit: added the Mk 46 and the AT4.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 09:45:30 am by Snowfield »

Offline Snowfield

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Guns [GRAPHICS]
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 09:57:58 pm »
Next up is slavshit, because who doesn't love slavshit? There's the Tokarev (for shooting through soft body armour when you can't afford 5.7 mm), the Makarov (for shooting yourself to end the pain), the SKS, AKs in 7.62 both milled and stamped, and AK-74s in Bakelite, black plastic, and lovely, lovely plum.

And the Mosin, obviously.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 10:21:23 pm by Snowfield »

Offline Snowfield

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 09:58:43 pm »
And, finally, a few more guns from the other side of the curtain, just for good measure. There's the 1911, the Hi-Power, the G3, the FAL, the AR-18, and... a bunch of parts for building your own AR-15 variant, because there are way too many of those to be satisfied with just one.

Spoiler:
Left to right, top to bottom: slickside upper, A1 upper with forward assist, A1E1 upper with the new brass deflector, A2 upper, A4 flat-top upper, A4 carry handle, slabside lower, partial fence lower, full fence lower, grip and trigger, inserted magazine, magazine item, solid stock, 4-position stock, 6-position stock, triangle handguard, clamshell hanguard, and railed handguard.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 10:29:43 pm by Snowfield »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 12:10:08 am »
(BIGOBS only because HANDOBs are still a pain in the neck. I should note that the rifles are sized for an alternative inventory pattern I cooked up for my own use, so once again there's not much in the way of cross-compatibility with other mods, but the handguns follow the usual scale, so you might find those, er, handy.)
There is tool to auto create them: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,8160.0.html

Offline Snowfield

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Strawberry Fields Forever [GRAPHICS]
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 12:29:51 am »
I have tried that; the impression I get is it basically wouldn't save me any time at all with how anal I am about firearm aesthetics. Still, volume and ambition might force me to buckle, so I've kept it in my hat just in case.