aliens

Author Topic: [WIP] Alien Navy Revisited  (Read 3539 times)

Offline pjlasl

• Captain
    • View Profile
[WIP] Alien Navy Revisited
« on: January 02, 2022, 07:26:55 pm »
I found the Alien Navy mod and it appears to have been discontinued by the original authors (Duke Flacon & Noel Buddy). I really like what it included so I decided to bring it back and update it to work with the latest OXCE version.

Mod is still WIP, but available for download: https://openxcom.mod.io/alien-navy

Currently working on:
- Probe Improvements
  - Movement and Death sounds
  - Death explosion
- Crabman Improvements
   - Melee Sound

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 12:37:04 am by pjlasl »

Offline pjlasl

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Alien Navy Revisited
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 06:53:50 am »
Here are screenshots showing the weaponry and aliens in OXCE 7.3.

Offline pjlasl

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 09:54:06 pm »
I have worked on the Aerial sprite to make it look more like the UFOPAEDIA images.

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
  • *Visit my DA site - click on the small globe!*
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 10:23:23 am »
Interesting to see where one's brainchild may develop left on it's own :)
If you need some material let me know, not sure I shared\hosted everything I once planned for Alien Navy...

Offline pjlasl

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 11:27:35 pm »
I really like this mod because it has given me an opportunity to work with all the different aspects of the game (units, weapons, missions) and learn all that.

I have not altered the gameplay of the mod. I spent a lot of time going thru the original thread reading the conversation and adding/updating images.

I have worked on the sprites, especially Aerial, to make it look more like the unit on the ufopaedia. I also corrected death animations and gave the probe animation

I would love seeing any material you may not have published.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 10:26:46 pm »
Tested out v0.8.1 on both latest openxcom extended and latest openxcom, game crashes when you view the venomtoad image in the ufopaedia-see attached.

Offline pjlasl

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 11:48:45 pm »
Tested out v0.8.1 on both the latest openxcom extended and latest openxcom, game crashes when you view the venomtoad image in the ufopaedia-see attached.

I have released a fix 0.8.1a to address the issue you found.

I cannot guarantee the game will work properly with OXC since I am focused on making it work with OXCE and the ruleset contains OXCE specific properties.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 12:28:11 am by pjlasl »

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
  • *Visit my DA site - click on the small globe!*
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 10:18:25 am »
Here is everything I were able to find on the many different data storages I used:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ajg5cg72bgtzb3l/AlienNavy+(fully+recompiled).zip/file

I fully recompiled it to merge the ~12 different Ufopedia.txt files and the different pictures. I also included some never-to-pass-WIP state stuffs like tile bmp bunches and hand-drawn sketches for planned new UFOs (I rescanned those in higher resolution, so much nostalgy of planning this forfeit mod).
It is up to you what you may use and what not but since ages passed I last used these stuffs, I recommend to check the palettes for everything included as I am not sure that all included stuffs converted to the right palette!

I myself abandoned OXC modding just play occasionally. But it would be fun once see and play this Alien Navy mod (preferably together with FMP for extreme experience). If you have any question, write me and I try to answer as fast as I can (if I am not in a hospital or something)!