Author Topic: How do Dogfights work exactly?  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Windtalker55

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
How do Dogfights work exactly?
« on: November 20, 2021, 06:25:22 am »
Introduced to this recently and I've gotten my first MiG-31-1, as well as put a single cannon on it. Doing some test fights, and I can't seem to even get a single shot off before being obliterates. Is there something I'm missing, or is there a hidden control I just don't know about? Does the cannon just not work in this context?

Offline FishyFin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: How do Dogfights work exactly?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 01:54:40 am »
The Mig-31 is quite primitive compare to alien craft. Also cannon have the shortest range among craft weaponry. Which mean you only stand a chance against small to very small UFO and not a chance against combat UFO (the one with radar).
Cannon class weapon in general are cost and ammo efficient at taking down UFO assume that your craft can take some hit. But their range are short which mean you will probably not getting the first strike.

There are several options for you:
-Get a better craft.
-Out range enemy with longer range weapons.
-Attack as a squadron.

In the third choice, you just simply have multiple crafts tail enemy UFO. When you have enough mass, order them to attack at the same time. By this way you will have extra fire power and enemy UFO can only attack whoever get in the range first. So the leading craft can just be the tank for weaker craft to take cover.

Offline Marrik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: How do Dogfights work exactly?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 02:49:04 am »
If the UFO can shoot back, you should be sending craft with missiles, and probably multiple craft.