Author Topic: TFTD - dye grenades  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Kissaki

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
TFTD - dye grenades
« on: November 13, 2021, 09:19:51 pm »
I notice OpenXcom has integrated Zombie's dye grenade mod, which increases the damage from 10 to 60. There seems to be broad agreement that the original value was a mistake, that it rendered the dye grenade useless.

Personally, I disagree. I played the original TFTD extensively, and made good use of dye grenades. It's actually one of the things I found to be realistic - you need to give it time to work. The dye spreads with each turn, and in 4 or 5 turns the area covered is the same as the 60-power dye grenade. A gradual coverage, especially underwater, seems much more realistic to me than an instant big blanket. So the 10-power dye grenade is certainly not useless, and like I said I made good use of it myself.

So why not keep Zombie's mod, but as an option? Make the mod active by default, but please include the option to switch to the original value for old fogies like me who like to relive the original feel of the game as much as possible. It wasn't difficult to edit the values back to 10 myself, but doesn't it belong among the other bells and whistles you can turn on or off in the menu, though?

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: TFTD - dye grenades
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 09:45:50 pm »
Nothing prevents you from creating a mod with the value you want.
You will then be able to activate/deactivate it at will!  ;)
See attachments !
Work fine in my OXCE !
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 09:55:57 pm by BlackStaff »

Offline Kissaki

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: TFTD - dye grenades
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 10:04:52 pm »
Nothing prevents you from creating a mod with the value you want.
Well... except skill  ;D

You will then be able to activate/deactivate it at will!  ;)
See attachments !
Work fine in my OXCE !
Thanks, I'll check it as soon as I get home :)