Author Topic: Clarify switching to TFTD  (Read 2793 times)

Offline xcommie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Clarify switching to TFTD
« on: September 28, 2021, 07:36:47 pm »
I'd like to suggest it's worth stating somewhere how to switch between UFO to TFTD, or better, changing it to something more intuitive.

Issues with the current system:
* It doesn't follow standard UI precepts. When I changed it to TFTD on the mods page and it changes the mods that are available, I expect this is only saying "these are the mods that should be enabled while you play TFTD". I very definitely don't expect it to also mean "This is also enabling TFTD".
* If I - as someone who's been using computers for as long as XCOM has been around - struggle with this, it follows other users with less computing experience may as well.

The way I expected to do it was on the new-game dialog. Exact same drop-down is fine, just a copy of it there.

Offline Kissaki

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Clarify switching to TFTD
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 10:15:33 pm »
I agree. It took me a bit of getting used to as well. Now that I am used to it, it's as simple as  pie, no hassle at all - but I admit to a bit of head-scratching at first.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 07:37:19 pm »
I concur. I memorized the path years ago and can swap between the two easily, but still to this day it feels like it's in the wrong place. TFTD is not a mod.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 08:10:43 pm »
TFTD is not a mod.

Technically, both UFO and TFTD are OpenXcom engine mods.

And since they technically need to be handled exactly like any other mods, they are on the same place for the convenience of the developers.

I'm not saying it's the most intuitive place (it's not), but it's not wrong.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 08:27:35 pm »
Change names of buttons?
`Games / Mods`
`Active game`
etc?