aliens

Author Topic: Saving takes longer suddenly?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Helmet_Hair

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Saving takes longer suddenly?
« on: September 24, 2021, 12:41:14 am »
Mostly curious what could have caused this. Everything was fine until recently. Auto-save and saving took just 1/5 of a second. But now saving takes a full second. Not a real problem I agree, but it annoys me still because it was so fast before.

The only change I did was that I changed some sound files in a private sound mod I have made for Final Mod Pack. Making the sound pack and activating it had no impact at all a couple of months ago, until now that is when I added a few more sounds. Could it be because of that? It just seems weird that saving would suddenly take a full second because of a few more kb of wav sound effects. Or maybe I tripped over some invisible line in the game/mod so the save file gets bigger the closer you get to the end? The save file itself is around 1 mb. I don't know if that is big or not in the context of X-com.

I know it's all very abstract, but just curious if anyone could have any idea.

Edit:

Might add also that Windows came with some update. Computer auto-restarted one night. No idea what it was. Maybe related? I got no clue.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
Re: Saving takes longer suddenly?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 10:23:54 pm »
Try running some tests and pull those sound files out and put back the old ones. If it solves the problem there’s your answer.
Non related but I remember playing this game on PlayStation back in the 90s and the “Alien movement” screen would sometimes takes up to 3 minutes before it would go to the “Next turn” screen 😀

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Saving takes longer suddenly?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 05:46:38 am »
Can you upload your save file?